1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cell content reflects formula not value

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Aslam2504, Sep 12, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Aslam2504

Aslam2504 Thread Starter

Hi there
    I am currently busy with a project. However I face difficulty in trying to allow formula's to read the value of a specific cell (instead it is reading the formula in that cell).
    I have 6 accounts, 3 are NOSTRO (begins with 0) & 3 are VOSTRO (begins with 7). When I select a Vostro account I want the letter V to populate in another cell & when I select a Nostro account I want N to populate. Hence I used a formula in F3 LEFT(E3,1) to retrieve the first digit of the account number (0 or 7). And in cell G3 I used formula =VLOOKUP(F3,NV,2,FALSE) to read the contents of F3 and select either N or V. However my problem is that the Vlookup formula is not reading the 0/7 value in cell F3, its reading the text of the formula...
    Please assist.

Attached Files:

• vn.xls
      File size:
      13.5 KB
      Views:
  2. bomb #21

bomb #21

Welcome to the board.

Either I'm missing something or that's weird. :confused:

What do you get for this (which cuts out the "bridging" formula)?:

=VLOOKUP(LEFT(E3)*1,NV,2,FALSE)

It works for me, with the "*1" seeming to somehow force the number "nature" of the first left character.

3. Aslam2504

Aslam2504 Thread Starter

Thanks alot Bomb!!!
    I think my problem was with the bridge!
    Regards

4. bomb #21

bomb #21

Thanks for marking this Solved. (y)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/749205

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice