1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Certain areas of digital images appear blotchy & smeared

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by wgreene, Feb 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

I'm not sure how to best describe this problem, but I notice that onscreen digital images very frequently display a well-defined blotchy or smearing effect in certain areas. It seems that this problem shows up mostly in the darker areas of an image. I guess it's the result of excessive pixelization. Anyhow, whenever I look closely I can see that certain parts of an image are completely surrounded by a well-delineated border, almost appearing as though they've been painted by hand. This unnatural look is quite annoying.

I don't recall ever having this problem in the past, and I'm wondering if somehow a certain setting, or settings, on my computer have been changed, either inadvertently or otherwise. I would greatly appreciate hearing from anyone who might have an answer to this problem.:( Thank you very much.

2. silvershield

silvershield

If you've edited it in Photoshop or the like, its probably saved in a JPEG format (.jpg, or .jpeg) Which is a type of compression for images. Try saving them in a .bmp file (Bitmap) because these don't have compression, however your file size will go way up.

3. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Perhaps a better way to describe my problem is the appearance of splotchy, green areas which serve as dividing lines between dark and light areas of a photograph. Using Photoshop Elements I've even tried lowering the green saturation level, and while the trees in the background lose their color the green splotchiness remain unaltered.

Over the past couple of years I have saved many JPEGs using Photoshop Elements and I don't recall ever having noticed this splotchy effect before. I'm still wondering if there's a way to clear up this problem with some sort of Settings change. Perhaps there's a way to tone down or decrease this discoloration effect.

4. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Last night I was watching a movie on YouTube when I suddenly noticed the same greenish smearing/splotchy effect in the darker areas of the video. I'm still unable to figure out how to correct this problem. :(

Could the problem be with my monitor rather than with my PC?

5. silvershield

silvershield

Try changing the color profile in the monitior.

6. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Thank you for the suggestion.

Under Color Management I changed to other monitor profiles -- EW wide, kodak_dc, NKMonitor_win, & sRGB Color Space Profile -- and restarted my computer after each change. Unfortunately, none of these profile changes helped to clear up my color problem.

In the Display Properties box I clicked on Advanced and then clicked on the Color Management tab in order to change my monitor's profile. Could it possibly help if I were to click on a tab other than Color Management? There are a number of tabs available, but I'm not familiar with their functions. Perhaps I need to do something other than change my monitor's profile.

7. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

Well, to my amazement, my problem has somehow cleared itself up! The excessive coloration/pixelization effect is gone and the pictures once again appear normal. I'm glad it happened, of course, but I don't have any idea how it happened. However....

The other day I found myself unable to send e-mail messages, a problem which was solved by my deleting over 2,000 messages from my Outgoing box! Could it possibly be that having done so could've also restored my photo and video quality? That doesn't sound logical to me, but I can't think of anything else I've done that might've solved my picture/video problem.

8. wgreene

wgreene Thread Starter

My problem somehow resolved itself, and I have no idea how it happened.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!