1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Certificate Templates

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Blakes7, Oct 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blakes7

Blakes7 Thread Starter

Hi! I'm setting up a lab in Deploying Virtual Private Networks with Microsoft Windows Server 2003. I've just completed some remote access policies and enabled auto-enrollment in active directory, and used gpupdate. The next step is to configure certificate templates. I go to run, type in certtmpl.msc, and receive a message:
    Windows could not create the object identifier list. The computer is not joined to a domain. Certificate templates are not available.
    The computer is joined to a domain---I pinged the DC, and the Enterprise Root CA is on server 2003 enterprise. I can type in, on the DC, the url---http://CA3.example.com/certsrv, and I immediately go to CA3 for the welcome page for certificate enrollment. I googled to try to solve this, and the only thing I could find is something about if the templates were accidentally deleted. It says they should be seen in AD Sites and Services, which they're not. It says if they have disappeared, to type at a command prompt, with enterprise ad credentials:
    regsvr32 /i:i /n certcli.dll
    which I did and received confirmation that it was successful. However, no templates. Same message when using the run command again. How do I get the templates? Where did they go, and why? Any and all responses will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

2. Blakes7

Blakes7 Thread Starter

Figured it out. Just as you have to be a member of the enterprise admins as well as domain admins to install an enterprise root ca, you need the same credentials to run it. I logged in with the enterprise account, and all the templates appeared.

3. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Thanks for the feedback, hopefully this might help someone in the future. :)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755494

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice