Solved: Change a user profile name (XP)!

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

perfect

Hi! I want to know how to change a user profile name on an XP account. I have a account on this computer but then I want to change the name because the name has some weird characters in it that some programs don't recognize. The name i want to change is the user name that comes in the folder Documents and Settings in the Local C drive. Can anyone help me with this?

Someone told me that I might have to create a new account and then transfer the data from the other user profile 9as in from my current account) but I am not sure if this is what to do or how exactly to do this!

Thank You for taking your time to read this and helping me!

Hi there,
Have you tryed Start>settings>control panal>click on user acc>change name?

sorry: you must also be logged in as admin.

perfect

yeah.. i tried that. That only changes the name on the "welcome" screen from where you log on. It doesn't change the name in documents and settings

Ooh, I did'nt know that, but I was thinking that it might be a bit too obvious:)
I'd go for saveing docs&settings and creating a new acc. but don't take my word for it, as I've never been there before:)

Hi,

To create a duplicate of an user profile with a different user name, try this:

• Create a new user account
  • Logon to that account to initialize the newly created profile
  • Log off from the newly created profile
  • Login as built-in Administrator
  • Open Control Panel System applet
  • Click the Advanced tab
  • Click Settings under User Profiles
  • Select a profile to copy from and choose Copy To
  • Browse to the profile to copy to (C:\Documents and Settings\username)
A new profile is now created which is the duplicate of your user profile.
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/dupprofile.htm

You may also find this article useful too
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

Anon

perfect

Thank You! I am going to try to do that. I think that is what I was looking for. I will try to do that and see if it works! :D

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online