1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: "Change adapter settings" is not showing anything

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Promise760, Mar 28, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Promise760

Promise760 Thread Starter

First of all, sorry if this is a duplicate thread, I attempted to search for an up to date thread for my question.

I am using an HP pavilion G series laptop running Windows 7.
    When I go here --> Network and Sharing center/Change adapter settings
    The window that opens is completely blank and does not show any adapters.

What I'm trying to accomplish: I am attempting to bridge my wireless internet connection between my laptop and my Xbox 360, which I have done many times before. I'm not sure what happen, I didn't make any system/hardware or driver changes since the last time I had my bridge connection working. I have tried a few things that I found on an old thread on this forum but nothing has worked. I am at a loss and am really close to restoring Windows all together. I can supply an IM or Email address to get support if needed. Any help on this issue is very much appreciated.

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    we do not provide support external to the forum.
    Please see the rules here http://www.techguy.org/rules.html
    can we see a screen shot from device manager - see how below

Also would you do a TCP/IP reset

------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Device Manager

Please Post back the results in device manager as requested below

You will now need to take a screen shot and copy that back to the working PC.
    Save the file to a USB flash drive or other removable media. Plug it into the working computer with internet access and copy the screen shot and attach the screen shot in a reply on the forum here.
    If you do not have another PC - do you have a phone connected to the internet - can you photograph the result and post the image in a reply

how to access device manager for different windows versions
    http://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000833.htm

Hold the Windows key and press Pause key, should open to allow device manager to be seen, see the menu on the left hand side

on a laptop you may need to use Hold the Windows key and press FN key + the pause key

If the above does not work then

For Windows 7 or Vista
    Click on the Start Orb > In the Start Search box type > device manager and then press enter
    or
    Start > control Panel {Vista set to classic view}> system > {Vista, device manager on left hand side} {XP hardware Tab, device manager button} >
    start > control panel> System and Security> Device Manager

Once you are in device manager then navigate to:

network adaptors, click on the + > post back the devices that are listed under network adapters
    are there any yellow ! ? or a X​

post a screen shot of the device manager - network adapters

To post a screen shot of the active window.

For windows Vista or Windows 7
    you can use the "snipping tool" which is found in Start> All programs> Accessories> Snipping Tool
    http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/tutorials/how-to-use-the-windows-snipping-tool/

To upload the screen shot to the forum, open the full reply window ("Go Advanced" button) and use the Manage Attachments button to upload it here.
    Full details are available here http://library.techguy.org/wiki/TSG_Posting_a_Screenshot

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Vista/Windows 7/Windows 8

For Windows Vista/Windows 7
    Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on the screen ):​

In the command prompt window that opens, type the following commands:

Note: Type only the text in bold and red for the following commands.

• Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog and press enter
    • Reset IPv4 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log and press enter
    • Reset IPv6 TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log and press enter
    ReStart (reboot) the machine.

If you receive the message
    The requested operation requires elevation.
    Then please open the command prompt as administrator - as requested above
    Start> Programs> Accessories> and right click on Command Prompt, select "Run as Administrator" to open a command prompt box (A new dialogue box - black with white font, will appear on screen ):
    Please note and post back - if you receive the following message :-
    Access is Denied

please post back the results in a reply here - its important we know that these commands have worked correctly and not produced any errors
    right click in the command prompt box
    select all
    enter
    control key + C key - to copy
    then reply here and
    control key + V to paste

Details also here
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/299357
    also the link has a Microsoft Fix it , which will do the above for you

3. Promise760

Here are a few screenshots, I will perform the other actions mentioned and post the results as well.

Attached Files:

4. Promise760

CMD Results:

Microsoft Windows [Version 6.1.7601]
    Copyright (c) 2009 Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.
    C:\Users\J & H>netsh winsock reset catalog
    Sucessfully reset the Winsock Catalog.
    You must restart the computer in order to complete the reset.

C:\Users\J & H>netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
    Reseting Interface, OK!
    Restart the computer to complete this action.

C:\Users\J & H>netsh int ipv6 reset reset.log
    Reseting Interface, OK!
    Restart the computer to complete this action.

C:\Users\J & H>

I did the reboot after entering all three commands, I then checked the "Change Adapter Settings" page and its the same, blank. Not sure if I was confusing in my OP but I am able to connect to and browse the internet using the PC I am having this issue with.

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In Services (just type Services after clicking the Start button) see if the Network Connections service is Started. If it is not, try to start it and note any error messages if it does not start.

6. Promise760

The Network Connections Service was started, I stopped it and restarted it, still nothing.

Attached Files:

7. Promise760

*bump*
    I was checking services on my other PC and noticed that Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) is not started and will not start and gives the following error :

"The Internet Connection Sharing (ICS) service on Local Computer started then stopped. Some services stop automatically if they are not in use by other services or programs"

Im sure this is not the reason my network adapters do not show up but I was just curious if this was needed to bridge my network? This is driving me crazy because I have has this working several times in the past.

8. Promise760

Think I fixed it. Well, at least I can see my adapters now.
    For anyone else having this issue this is what worked for me:
    Device Manager/Network adapters/(your NIC)
    right click to get to Properties/driver tab/uninstall driver.
    return to device manager, right click network adapters and scan for hardware changes.
    The network adapter driver will install automatically.
    That's it! Thanks for the ideas everyone.

9. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    thanks for providing the solution, very helpful to others searching here

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1122985

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice