1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Change Desktop Icon Lettering

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by FrustatedwithXP, Aug 10, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. FrustatedwithXP

FrustatedwithXP Thread Starter

I am running Windows XP SP3. I have many icons on my desktop with the description underneath in the font & size I chose. I was on the Delphi Glass website and clicked on a You Tube Video. I tried to copy the URL to my desktop. I got the message " Do I want to change my desktop". Wihtout thinking, I clicked yes. Instead of pasting the URL, all the descriptions of my icons were now boxed off with a background color that I determined was what was set in the Display Properties under Appearance, Advanced. I right clicked on the desktop, went to properties, looked at all options, changed many things but could not get rid of the border around the icon descriptions. I tried restoring a back-up of my desktop but that didn't work. I went back to the Delphi Glass site You Tube video and this time when I copied and pasted the url, I had no problems. I have up-to-date Norton 2012 running. Can you tell me how I can get rid of this formatting of my destop display?

2. Sponsor

3. Ent

Ent Josiah Trusted Advisor

Have you tried system restore?

4. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Right click your desktop>Arrange Icons by>make sure "Lock webitems on desktop" is UNCHECKED. Refresh the desktop if you need to change it.
    If that doesn't do it, right click My Computer>Properties>Advanced tab.
    Click the Settings button in Performance.
    In Performance Options>Visual Effects tab, scroll down and place a check by "Use drop shadows for icon labels on the desktop" and OK.

5. FrustatedwithXP

I should have mentionned that my recovery drive is only 4 gb. I have over 100 gb of files on my computer. I have never been able to use System restore. I back-up to an external hard drive. I do back-up desktop, but as I said, restoring a previous version of my desktop did not fix the problem. I assume that whatever caused this problem is stored somewhere else in my system.

6. FrustatedwithXP

Thank you for responding. "Lock items" on my destop is unchecked. "Use drop shadows" was checked

7. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Right under Use drop shadows is "Use visual styles for windows and buttons" (should be the last item). If it's checked, uncheck it and click Apply then recheck it and click Apply.
    Make sure "Use drop shadows" is checked and "Lock items" is unchecked. If still no joy, reverse both of those, reboot, reset them and reboot again (if necessary).

8. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Just thought of one other thing to check on.
    Right click the desktop>Properties>Desktop tab>Customize Desktop... button.
    Click the Web tab. Make sure Lock desktop items is unchecked.
    It should be the same as the Arrange icons by on the desktop right click menu, but sometimes it will be unchecked there but still checked on the Web tab.

9. FrustatedwithXP

I appreciate your response Throoper. I did what you suggested, unchecking, re-checking and re-booting. I still have the problem.

10. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

Do you have any list items checked on Display Properties>Desktop tab>Customize desktop>Web?

11. FrustatedwithXP

Thank you Throoper. Your suggestion solved the problem. The website that caused the problem was in the list you described above. Deleting it restored my desktop.

12. throoper

throoper Trusted Advisor

You're welcome. (y)

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!