1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] Change File Icon?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by I Fix 4 U, Sep 5, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U Thread Starter

Hello, I am in the act of converting my computer to firefox browser. I currently have all files that would have been delt with in IE now set to run with firefox. But still core icons, e.g. html files have the internet explorer icon even though they open with firefox. Is there a way to change their icon to firefox's icon (or any other one) ***without making shortcuts?***

2. mike5532g

mike5532g

In IE, tools, internet options, programs tab, uncheck "Internet Explorer should check to see whether it is the default browser" and click ok.
    In Firefox, tools, options, general, check "Firefox should check to see if it is the default browser when starting", click "check now" and click ok.

3. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U Thread Starter

i'll try that... still open to alternatives.

::Nope Didn't work:: Possibly if i restart but i dont think so.
    PS, its nice to have it set as default tho so your idea did help there. :)

Now what am i gonna do. :confused:

4. mike5532g

mike5532g

You can also go to add or remove programs, set program access and defaults, custom and set it there.

5. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U Thread Starter

OMG i did that and restarted and it WORKS. Thanx alot.

6. I Fix 4 U

I Fix 4 U Thread Starter

PS, here is another way if it doesnt work. this is also the only way to make url shortcuts change its icon.
    Taken from annoyances.org

Change Internet Shortcut Icon.

In its reign of terror, Microsoft has made every effort to make Internet Explorer appear as though it's the only choice for browsing the web. Case in point - they've made it seemingly impossible to do something as simple as change the icon for all Internet Shortcut files (*.URL). Here's how to do it:

* Run the Registry Editor (REGEDIT.EXE).
    * Open HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ InternetShortcut.
    * Double-click on the EditFlags value (in the right pane), and change it's contents to 00 00 00 00.
    * Next, open HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\ InternetShortcut\ shellex, and delete the IconHandler key (in the left pane).
    * Close the Registry Editor when you're done.
    * Then, open Explorer, select Folder Options from the View menu, and choose the File Types tab.
    * Find and select Internet Shortcut on this list, click Edit, and then click Change Icon.
    * When you're done choosing an icon, click Ok in each open Window.

Written by: Annoyances.org
    Last updated: Monday, September 3, 2001

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/270606

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice