1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Change in .DOC file handling in Hotmail

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by OroValley1, Aug 30, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. OroValley1

OroValley1 Thread Starter

After years of transferring .doc files as attachments to e-mails in my Hotmail account, all of a sudden things have changed. The files only open in an app of some kind that doesn't allow me to print, requires several steps in order to edit online, and doesn't allow me to edit the file in WORD unless I download WORD 2010, which I am loathe to do. What is going on and is there any work-around that actually gets me back to where I was a happy user?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't know of any changes to the handling of .doc files. Please confirm that you are not referring to .docx files.

What is the app with which you are opening them?

That really sounds like .docx files, although of course Word 2007 also handles them. You could also try OpenOffice.

3. OroValley1

The app that opens...for any .doc file, not just docx files which I know about, is called Microsoft WordWebApp.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I guess that's Microsoft's "Office in the cloud." I knew it is limited, but I'm a bit surprised that it doesn't include Print.

Anyhow, if you don't have and don't want to buy Word there is the free OpenOffice.

5. OroValley1

I have WORD and the complete Office package...just 2003 not 2010. I am thinking this is Microsoft's attempt to force me to buy an upgrade and I am annoyed.

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Ahhhh. Maybe the assumption is that if you are trying to open a .doc directly from Hotmail you want to use their "cloud" stuff. Microsoft is trying to tie all their "Live" and "cloud" stuff together more. You may have to download the attachment first and then use Word 2003.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I just tested with a .doc attachment, and that's the way it is. You can view the attachment online or you can download it.

8. OroValley1

Thank you big time. I just took a document I could not get to, saved it to my desktop and then I could edit it. Appreciate your sticking with me until I had a solution that worked. Now I don't have to change my e-mail.

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :) Glad I could help.

10. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/946779

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice