1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Change Product Key

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by KevinSpain, May 4, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. KevinSpain

KevinSpain Thread Starter

Hi all,
    I'm having trouble changing my product key.
    Years ago, when I upgraded from 98 to XP pro, I'm ashamed to say, it was with a pirate copy of XPpro CD. However, I very soon saw the error of my ways and legalised my software online by purchasing a licence with which came a new product key. This was all done online and automatically.

Now, here's the thing. Due to an old and failing C drive, I have installed a new hard drive with the intention of transfering all of my files over to it before the old one gives up completely and I lose everything.
    The problem is, although my existing OS and product key are completely legal, the only system CD I have is my old pirate one which will not load using the legal key.
    I have loaded it using the old key with the intention of changing it afterwards but, having followed the process to change it, when I run Jelly Bean Keyfinder, it shows the old key.
    I have also tried a microsoft windows verification and it confirms that it is not a legal licence.

The process I used to change the key was:
    Change the OOBE Timer number in regedit,
    Run c:\windows\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a and run change product key, reboot and run c:\windows\system32\oobe\msoobe.exe /a again which tells me that windows is already activated.

Is there any other way to change the key?
    XPpro SP2

Any advice, apart from 'you shouldn't use illegal software you muppet', will be apreciated.

Kev

2. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

A utility to do it for you - RockXP

If you run MagicJellyBean now , does it display your new Key/COA?

Just re-read your post...
    So your saying you do not have an installation CD for the version of XP that you have a licence for, is that correct?
    Borrow one from a friend.
    Where in the world are you? or does your username hold a clue? ;)

3. hrlow2

hrlow2

Or use a program like xxClone to copy the failing drive to the new drive.

4. KevinSpain

Hi John,
    My installation CD, although a pirate copy, is the correct version but if I try to install it using my legal product key it says that it is not a valid product key. Therefore, I have installed it using the key that came with the CD.
    I don't want to go back to the start again and reinstall XP as I have already transfered a lot of files and folders.... it's very time consuming, as I'm sure you are aware, and I do have better things to be doing as I am one of the lucky ones here in Spain (yes the clue is in the username.... well spotted! :D) and I have a job!
    I simply want to change the key, which I know is possible, but I have not been successful so far with the method I have tried.

hrlow2, thanks for the tip on xxclone... I'll give that a try.

5. KevinSpain

Sorry Jack.... I ment 'Hi Jack'.... not John...

6. KevinSpain

I downloaded and ran RockXP but Jelly Bean still finds my old CD key.
    If I re scan with RockXP, it also still displays my old number.

7. hrlow2

hrlow2

8. helpful

helpful

9. KevinSpain

OK guys, all sorted.
    Thanks a lot for all the feedback.

BTW hrlow2, I looked at xxClone but it only seems to offer the option of copying the entire disk, OS and all.
    I don't really want to do that as I suspect there are a couple of infections in there. Reallt just want to transfer all of my programs.
    Thanks for the suggestion though.

10. hrlow2

hrlow2

Didn't see anything about possible infections in your post.
    Assumed the OS was working but hard drive was failing, needing to be saved.

11. KevinSpain

It's a bit of a long story....
    I posted a thread last week in the Virus and Malware section titled My computer is infected and spewing out spam!! . It has been read but I got no responses.
    In the meantime I have been trying to sort it out myself. I was almost at the end of the process that I was following from a Major Geeks forum when the hard drive started to give me problems. So, I figured I may as well do a fresh install on a new disk.... That's when I posted this thread and didn't think it was worth mentioning the virus problem as I'd had no respose previously and didn't want to complicate the issue.

Thanks again for the help.
    Maybe you could also help me with this one?: [​IMG] User account configuration :)

12. mtzlplex

mtzlplex Account Closed

Hey Kevin, I wouldn`t feel too bad about not getting a reply to your thread you started in the Malware and Virus section, you`re not the only one. I`ve been a member of this forum for over 8 years, and over a month ago, I had a very bad bout with the Digital Protection and antimalware doctor viruses. I started a thread like you in the Malware and Virus section, left my HiJack this log, and some pertinent info about what was going on with my computer. Like you, I also received no response. I ended up going to another forum (after waiting for 2 weeks for a reply here), and got some advice which allowed me to correct my computer problems in a couple of days. I didn`t want to have to go to another forum, but after 2 weeks, and no reply to my thread, I had no other choice. My advice to you would be, sometimes when you have a computer problem, and go to a particular forum seeking help, if you do not receive a reply within 3 or 4 days, spread yourself around, and check out other forums. Oh, by the way, glad to see you got your problem sorted out.

13. Jack Hackett

Jack Hackett

Kevin, this new licence/key you have, what version of XP is it for?
    Home or Pro?
    Retail or OEM?

14. KevinSpain

Thanks again for your responses and all your help guys. I have sorted the issue using the link that 'helpful' provided.... and learnt a few new things along the way :)

I'll mark this thread as solved but if anyone reading this can help me with this one User account configuration
    I'd be grateful.

Adios for now.

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/920982

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice