Solved: change temp directory?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Tact

does anyone know how i can change the default temp directories for windowsxp from C to D?

i'm trying to install a program that needs a lot of space just to install (which is dumb i think it was made wrong.... and i've cleared up drive C as much as possible! there's not junk in it at all. i normally install all my apps in a seperate partition anyway. and i got tons of space on my other parts. so this is jsut annoying. -_-

i googled it but everything i get is for win98 or 2k and i don't think they work and i'm too chicken to try it. so i'd preffer instructions that were made/written with xp in mind.

thanks in advance to anyone who knows how. :)

bearone2

Banned
default is default.

at some point you will be asked, where you want to install the program, it will default to......
select the folder/temp file on the d: drive where you want.

you will have to create the new folders on the d: drive before they can be used.

If you are that tight on space, you need to do more than simply move where the temp directory is located. That can be done by just changing the path. But if just installing an application, even to another partition, is not working due to space problems, something more significant needs to be done.

For starters, how big is the C: and D: partitions and how much free space is on each.

Tact

i don't think the problem is with me to be honest. but i'll explain everything though cause you guys might get a laugh. :p

i think the problem is with the program. i'll provide screenies to support my theory. :)

ok. my main hardrive is a 60 gig hdd i think. and i gave C drive only 5 gigs for the operating system. out of those 5 gigs, 1.50 gigs are free. (surely more than enough correct?)

My "programs" partition which uses up the remaining space is 39.2 gig's and has 9.39 gigs free. (definately more than enough)

so now i'm guessing you guys TOO think "well what on earth is this program and how big is it?"

well. the program is a game. (no wait. it's NOT THAT BIG)

the installer/selfextractor is 579 megabytes. (teeny! :p)

when i first tried to extract it, it complained of having too little space. (this was when had only about 6-800 megs free in drive C. so i did a cleanup and freed up 300 megs giving me what i got now in freespace)

all was well. it finally finished extracting. then during the install, i got the chance to set the install directory. (i do not get a chance to change temp directory.) near to the last step of installation, it then tells me again! "there is not enoug free space!" and it shows me how much i need per drive.

C: Drive, 200 megs free (it's now 200 because over 1 gig is currently being used by IT for temp files) and it says it needs 1 gig. o_O

D: Drive it says it needs around 900 megs

so basically it's complaint is about the drive in C. it's asking me for the space it already has/is currently occupying. o_O see the problem? it's a crappy installer. -_- and i'm just trying to MAKE UP for it by seeing if i can make it use D as the temp folder but the only way i think it will work is if i change the default temp folder for ALL of windows.

and so that was my question.

here are some screenies! :)

see the problem? totally crappily made installer/extractor. not only does it make two copies of the install files (both exact same sizes) but it thinks it still needs more too! o_O (btw, i tried deleting one of them, the top one doesn't let me cause it's being used, and the second one it did let me, and i was able to continue with the install, but it then failed because it couldn't find the file i just deleted. -_-)

i think i should instead install it on a pc with tons of space, and then copy the directory over to my pc. if this program works the same way as my other copy of maplestory (that's the name of the game, this is the europeaon version) then it should still work because it's pretty much standalone. needs no registry junk.

Attachments

Tact

yah but only cause the installer sucks. (see images) :p

DoubleHelix

Banned
You can change the temporary directory.

Right-click on My Computer, and click Properties. Click the Advanced tab. Click the Environment Variables button. Edit the location for the TEMP and/or the TMP environment variables.

After you do that, reboot and empty the previous location. And if you don't have it set to delete already, or didn't do a shift-delete, empty the recycle bin then as well.

Tact

omg thank you! that's what i was looking for, doublehelix. thanks. i'm glad it dind't require messing with the registry. :D

this is nifty. :)

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online