1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: change user & host name, dir still the same

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by lentil, Nov 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. lentil

lentil Thread Starter

Hi All,

I am taking over a site where several brand new windows 7 machines have already been set up, during the setup wizard someone put in incorrect user names which were also set up as the host names..

I the corrected the user names, changed the host names and all is well, but when I open a shell with "cmd" it still points the the old name. Is there an easy way to fix this ?

Cheers

Dave

2. Sponsor

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

The "easy" and sure way to change an account or user name is to create the desired account, get it all set up copying files from the old account and so forth, and then delete the old account. When you try renaming things it seems that something, somewhere, always remains unchanged.

4. Lance1

Lance1

I would assume your speaking of the user profile name showing up in the CMD like c:\users\ted. Even though you change the profile name, you need to edit the registry to complete the change. Open regedit and go to;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Go to the folder on the left containing that account and Double Click ProfileImagePath and enter the path to the new name you created, c:\users\The New Name That should be it.

5. lentil

lentil Thread Starter

Thanks Guys,

My windows 7 knowledge has crept up a notch :)

Thanks once again

Dave

6. Lance1

Lance1

You are most welcome.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1114116