Solved: change user & host name, dir still the same

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

lentil

Hi All,

I am taking over a site where several brand new windows 7 machines have already been set up, during the setup wizard someone put in incorrect user names which were also set up as the host names..

I the corrected the user names, changed the host names and all is well, but when I open a shell with "cmd" it still points the the old name. Is there an easy way to fix this ?

Cheers

Dave

TerryNet

Terry
The "easy" and sure way to change an account or user name is to create the desired account, get it all set up copying files from the old account and so forth, and then delete the old account. When you try renaming things it seems that something, somewhere, always remains unchanged.

I would assume your speaking of the user profile name showing up in the CMD like c:\users\ted. Even though you change the profile name, you need to edit the registry to complete the change. Open regedit and go to;

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ProfileList

Go to the folder on the left containing that account and Double Click ProfileImagePath and enter the path to the new name you created, c:\users\The New Name That should be it.

lentil

Thanks Guys,

My windows 7 knowledge has crept up a notch :)

Thanks once again

Dave

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online