1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Changed from Vista to 7

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by genoxano, Feb 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. genoxano

genoxano Thread Starter

I had Vista home premuim on a HP desktop. HD is a seagate 715GB and it is a 64 system..For whatever reason it crashed. I did a 20 disk backup from the recovery manager. I decided to try the reformat hard drive option and and switch to Win7 that had came as a free upgrade disk when I first bought the computer. I made the switch sucessfully to 7 but I am now trying to load all of my backup files (pictures, music, spreadsheets, tax returns, etc.) . When I do the backup disks they seem to go somewhere on the computer, but how do I restore them to the right programs such as office?

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't understand what you mean. Please give a specific example of a file and what you try to do and what goes wrong, including any error messages.

3. genoxano

genoxano Thread Starter

I now have 20 backup disks and windows 7 on my desktop. I am trying to recover all of my pictures from the backup disks, my tax files, my spreadsheets, etc.... I get no error messages, i just can't access the files with all of the above mentioned. where did the files go..... An example : I would like to reload all of my grandkids pictures that should be on the backup disks but I cannot access them. Do you know how to retrieve these pictures and all of the other files? ...When the hd crashed it said to make backup copies of all my files(programs, pictures, etc.) as they would be lost when I reformatted.

4. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    When I saw that in your first post I thought that you had copied the files to your hard drive. But now ...

Now I understand that you have not been able to copy the files from the backup disks. Correct? If so, are the files on the disks simply copies, or did you use some program to do the backup? If a program, what one? You may have to use it to do the restore.

5. genoxano

genoxano Thread Starter

I used recovery manager in windows Vista to make the backup disks. I was going to replace the hard drive as I could not access programs and could not get to anything , not even safemode. I think I pressed F8 and it allowed me to go to recovery manager. The instructions were to make backup copies of all my files as when the disk was reformatted that my computer would be in its original state. I copied all pictures, programs, spreadsheets , etc. to 20 backup disks. I had a copy of Win7 that came as a free upgrade when I bought the computer but had never installed it as I liked Vista ok. I decided while I had all of the files backed up by using recovery manager in Vista , to go ahead and upgrade to win7. Now I have Win7 and 20 backup disks that seem to go somewhere when I insert them in the disk drive E: , but I am unable to see the pictures, videos, tax files. Apparently the pictures etc. are on the disks but how do I access them ?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    I don't understand the "go somewhere" phrase. A disk stays in the (optical) disk drive until you remove it. You can view the disk contents using Windows Explorer.

Typically a backup program included in Windows will create something that can only be read by the same backup program and the backup program will be unique to that version of Windows. Do some web searches to see if you can find info on the Vista backup program.

However, since you mentioned HP, perhaps you actually used an HP feature? If that is a possibility you should check on HP's web site to see how to retrieve the files. Here is one HP article, but I don't think it quite applies to you.

7. lunarlander

lunarlander

In Windows 7, are you using the same account names as before ? Because the restore will re-create the same folder names. And if your previous account was named "Jack", the restore will re-create the Jack folder and put stuff inside there.

8. genoxano

genoxano Thread Starter

9. genoxano

genoxano Thread Starter

When I say "go somewhere" I mean the backup disks run as if they are downloading and the file seem to "go somewhere" on the hard drive, but then I cannot locate them on the computer when i search for them.

10. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Then lunarlander may be on to something. :)

When you search you are searching at least the entire "C" drive?

11. genoxano

genoxano Thread Starter

Thanks for the time and help, I am finding the files one at a time by looking in search.

Thanks again,
    Geno

12. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    You're welcome. :)

Once you find one aren't there more in the same folder? And "sister" and higher level folders?

13. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088255

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice