Solved: Changed graphics card now computer will not boot

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

jat23

Pentium III, 300mhz, 10gb hard drive, S3 Trio graphics card. Win 98SE.
I removed the trio graphics card in order to change it for a Hercules 3D prophet Kyro Series. I made no other changes and took anti-static precautions etc. Indeed I have performed this operation many times in the past on other machines with no problems. Now the computer does not boot up. The lights and fan come on but the hard drive does not spin and no image goes to the monior. I swapped the card back again with the same result. I have checked all the connections etc. The computer was working perfectly minutes before. I do not know the make of motherboard offhand I'm afraid as it is my brothers machine. I was supposed to know what I was doing!! Any ideas??

Regards
Jont

do you know for absolute certainty that this new card is compatible with your bros mobo?

jat23

Hi. The short answer is I think so. Both the cards are AGP, but the machine will not boot with the old card put back in.
Jont23

jat23

pugmug said:
Also what driver did you use for the Trio?
The trio was already installed in machine when purchased. Usually I install drivers after machine has booted.

pugmug

Banned
Can you open the computer and give us numbers off the mobo as to what we are dealing with.

jat23 said:
The trio was already installed in machine when purchased. Usually I install drivers after machine has booted.
also did you go into safe mode and unistall old card from device manager, before installing new?

jat23

brite750 said:
you might want to try resetting the bios, then try old card again, otherwise what I'm expecting is that the voltages werent right on the new card, agp cards came in different voltage slots

http://www.directron.com/15agpguide.html
Thanks for this. I will try to reset the bios next time I have access to the comp. I had forgotten about the different voltages for AGP; in some machines the slots are the same so it is easy to fit the wrong card.

frankjohn said:
like stated bf i think we have a power supply pblm
it certainly could be, I had one do that to me, I changed a piece of hardware and it just died, for no apparent reason, freaky.

jat23

Thanks for all your help. It turned out to be a failed ram chip. When I turned the computer on today, it gave a beep error code, which for some bizare reason we did not get yesterday. I replaced the ram with another 128mb chip and all well.
JonT

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Members online