1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: CHanged hardware... tells me it needs to activate but won't?

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by StumpedTechy, Aug 11, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy Thread Starter

Ugh this is more annoying than a real problem. I was running vista on a 512 meg ram machine that was locking up. I took out the HDD and placed it in a 1.5ghz ram machine. Of course different hardware yadda yadda yadda. The funny thing is it installed like a dream which I was not expecting. The ONLY driver it did not find on its own was a the video card and I made that change manually. Of course after all this on the next reboot it says multiple components were changed this requires reactivation. I tried to reactivate it and it failed. Sure enough each reboot it says reactivate but it never does but I am able to continue using it.

I know a rebuild will clean it all up but is there any way around this reactivation loop I seem to be in?

2. TechB

TechB

3. Remnorz

Remnorz

Call Microsoft to activate the version... I did the same thing to test my comp with different memories etc and had to call... it's a pain but it will work :).

4. StumpedTechy

StumpedTechy Thread Starter

I had to pick to Change my CD key and type in the number I already had in... Strange but it worked.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/491398

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice