1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Changed router's IP, can't connect!

Discussion in 'Networking' started by zvone, Aug 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zvone

zvone Thread Starter

My modem(Netgear) and router(D-link) shared same IP adress(192.168.0.1) and after having some problems I decided to change it. I changed routers IP but now I am not able to connect to my wireless network and got this message: "Attempting to authenticate". (probably because of changed router's IP) Any ideas how to get new settings recognized ?

2. zvone

zvone Thread Starter

When I confirmed security key I got the message:"Default getaway is not available"?

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

When you changed the D-Link's LAN IP address (I assume that's what you did) did the Dhcp server's address range change automatically, or did you make the corresponding change? If not, that's probable your problem.

On the computer are you using a static IP configuration? If so, did you make the corresponding change?

4. zvone

zvone Thread Starter

Yes mate you are right,Dhcp was the problem. I was following instructions from this site:[http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/archive/933517[/URL]
    and as you can see they suggest that you disable Dhcp after changing IP address. When I enabled it again everything works just fine. It took me whole afternoon to figure that out but it was worth it!Especially after technicians from my ISP tried to convince me that the router is faulty and that I should buy a new one. Anyway, thanks TerryNet for quick reply(it probably took you no longer than 2 minutes to figure this out)!

5. TerryNet

TerryNet Terry Moderator

You're welcome. :)

That post to which you linked is talking about using the secondary router as a switch and wireless access point only. I suspect that you did not follow all the instructions there, as you are apparently cascading (daisy-chaining) the routers.

6. zvone

zvone Thread Starter

At the end I just changed router's IP adress and upgraded firmware. All is working fine(for now).

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1013300