1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Changed Shell32.dll to notepad by accident!

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by Sean206, May 12, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Sean206

Sean206 Thread Starter

I'm far from a computer expert, other than games I don't know much at all.

I was trying to get a file for a game to work so I turned to google for help, It looks like I've gone onto something I shouldn't have.

The instruction on the website was to click start and type "Shell32.dll" into the search box.
    The next instruction was to open it with Notepad, which I did... The box saying something like "always open using this program" was ticked.

After spending time googling what I'd just done it seems like that was a huge mistake, I have no idea how to change it back to its original state.
    So far everything seems to be fine but from what I read on another site the shell32.dll file has something to do with the start up so I haven't turned my laptop off yet.

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

All your dll's should have changed. Do they have a different icon?

Right-click one and check Properties. What does it say opens them?

3. Sean206

Sean206 Thread Starter

Yes, they are all notepad now..

4. peter27

peter27

Hey sean.Is your problem solved?go to c: drive->windows->system32 and check whether there are any .dll files or not?If the files are available your system is fine or else you have to restore your pc to previous restore point.

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

Download the attached file. Unzip it. Right-click the reg file inside and choose "Merge" from the menu.

Attached Files:

• dll.zip
      File size:
      533 bytes
      Views:
  6. Sean206

Sean206 Thread Starter

There are .dll files in the system32 folder but they all have the notepad icon.
    They say.dll in their properties.

7. Sean206

Sean206 Thread Starter

Done that, nothing seems to have changed, they still say they open with notepad

8. amaya1293

amaya1293

9. Sean206

Sean206 Thread Starter

10. Elvandil

Elvandil

I wouldn't run that if you have programs set up to open certain types of files. Those associations will all be lost.

What happened when you tried to merge that reg file? Did you get a confirmation window?

11. Sean206

Sean206 Thread Starter

It told me it had been "successfully added"

12. Elvandil

Elvandil

Try this one.

Then, open Task Manager and kill explorer. Then go to the File menu, New Task, and type: explorer
    to start it again.

If that doesn't work, we'll probably have to get rid of the old entries before adding the new ones.

Attached Files:

13. amaya1293

amaya1293

Its not a hot installation so yea you are going to have to restart you computer. That is the bad thing with microsoft fix it utilies. Most of the time you will have to restart your computer.

14. amaya1293

amaya1293

That's is true. Well if you ran the utility then the "damage" is done. Your associations will be reset the next time your computer restarts.

15. Sean206

Sean206 Thread Starter

I've tried all your suggestions, including installing the program posted by amaya1293.
    I turned my laptop off and on again without any problems so I'm assuming that having Shell32 as notepad doesn't make any difference at all...

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!