1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Changing a Computer name remotely

Discussion in 'Networking' started by dizzle_deasy, Aug 4, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dizzle_deasy

dizzle_deasy Thread Starter

Is it possible to change the computer name remotely? I tried a remote desktop connection and after I entered the Admin username and password I got a message that I couldn't have multiple connections to the same shared resource. Anyhow it was unsucessful. I can currently use psexec to run command line programs on remote computers, but I can't run any UI programs. Is there a way to get the computer to change it's name either through a command-line program or through computer management? I can run computer management on the domain controller and connect to the remote computer that way. I can also connect to the registry of the remote computer from the domain controller. I have the clients set up to only allow the domain controller access to the remote registry and computer management so that there isn't a hugh security risk.

2. datamonger

datamonger

From a post on another board (here scroll about halfway down):

3. dizzle_deasy

thanks. This works great.

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

I have a command line rename utility as well if you need one.

5. dizzle_deasy

I now use netdom.exe with the parameter of "RENAMECOMPUTER" to change the computer name remotely and then I use pstools' psshutdown.exe to reboot the computer remotely. Thanks for all your help.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/489449

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice