1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Changing downloads from C: to D: drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by mrhite65, Feb 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. mrhite65

mrhite65 Thread Starter

I would like to change the My Pictures and the My Music files to dowmload to my D: drive instead of the main C: drive as it usually does. How can I do that?
    Thanks for the help!

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

When the download window comes up, chgange the location in the box that specifies where to download the files.

3. mrhite65

mrhite65 Thread Starter

I want to be able to use the buttons but, have them to open up in the D: drive instead of the C: drive.

4. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

What browser are you using?
    Posted via Mobile Device

5. mrhite65

mrhite65 Thread Starter

Explorer 8

6. mrhite65

mrhite65 Thread Starter

The buttons I'm talking about are on the start menu. My Pictures and My Music. I want to change the direction from C: to D: drive.

7. itsjusme

itsjusme

If i understand you correctly, what you want to do is change the default location of these two folders?? To move these folders separately requires a registry edit i believe, Squashman or Elvandil can help you with that. But you can move the whole My Documents folder and it`s contents, including My pictures and My Music fairly easily. I always move mine to keep from cluttering up the C partition. More info here.

8. raybro

raybro

I assume your goal is to move large files like My Pictures and My Music tend to be to the D:\ drive to keep from filling up the C:\ drive. If that is correct, I think what may satisfy the need is to move your My Documents folder (which contain the My Pic and My Music folders) to the D:\ drive. Windows makes provisions to do this.

To do so, open Windows Explorer. Now create a folder on the D:\ drive labeled "My Documents" (or whatever you choose to call it). Next, find the My Documents folder, in Windows Explorer, right-click it and select "Properties" (see attached screen shot). Click the "Move" button and navigate to the folder you created on the D:\ drive, click "Save". Windows will move the actual location of the files to the folder on the D:\ drive, but the change will be invisible to the user.

Click here to go to a M$ page with detailed instructions.

Note... If you do not first create a folder for your my docs folder on the D:\ and just move it to the D:\ drive, all the files will be mixed in with whatever else is already on the D:\ drive.

Raybro

Attached Files:

9. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

10. raybro

raybro

Major confusion factor. Good catch Frank. (y)

Raybro

11. mrhite65

mrhite65 Thread Starter

That is exactly what I wanted to do!!
    Thank you very much!

12. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

But when you say "download" we are lead to believe you are referring to downloading something within a browser. If you just would have said I want to move the location of My documents to a different drive, your problem would have been solved in one answer.

13. flavallee

flavallee Frank Trusted Advisor

And I was confused by these comments in your other thread because I didn't know if you had created a single C partition or had created C and D partitions when you formatted the hard drive.

---------------------------------------------------------------

14. mrhite65

mrhite65 Thread Starter

Sorry about that! I guess I didn't know exactly how to discribe what I wanted to do.
    Thanks for the help though!

15. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/901096