1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Changing drive letters

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by cullism, Dec 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. cullism

cullism Thread Starter

I have just reformatted my computer and restored everything to its pre-reformat state. Unfortunately E: drive has now become I: drive and F: has become J: I have followed instructions from other posts relating to Disk Management, however I don't get the option of using either drive E: or drive F: It wouldn't matter except that I have put together an Excel process in which the macros refer to drives E: or F: and I don't want to have to change them. Help!

2. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

In disk management: change the drives E/F/etc to high drive letters and then E: and F: will become available. You can then shuffle them all around.

3. cullism

cullism Thread Starter

I'm not sure I understand. When I go into Disk Management drive letters E: and F: do not appear. When I insert memory sticks into what used to be E: and F:, they appear as I: and J: (until then letters I: and E: are not shown. With memory sticks plugged in the drive letters which appear are A: and B: then I: to Z: (no E: or F: or G: or H: even thought they appear in My Computer).

4. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

The drive letters that are currently used are not able to be selected, so are not shown in the list.

To set a device to one that is not shown you have to right click on the (say E: drive) and change the drive letter (to say R: ) Then E: will become available for you to choose for your 'other' drive.

5. cullism

cullism Thread Starter

I will try what you have suggested. I don't know if it is significant, but drives E: F: G: and H: all appear in My Computer but when I select them and check their properties they all show that all space is used. For what, I wonder? as you say, drives which are used are not selectable.

6. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

It could be a multi card reader and each card slot is given a drive letter. When you put a memory card in for each slot then it will become available - at a guess.

If you can provide screen shots of the devices page then maybe it would say.

7. cullism

cullism Thread Starter

Please find three screenshots of Disk Management. The first is taken before I plug in the two memory sticks, the second after I plug them in and the third when I try to change the drive letters.

Attached Files:

8. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

E,F,G,H have no media which is probably a set of memory card readers.

What I suggest is that you change
    E: to R:
    F: to S:
    G: to T:
    H: to U:

and then change the I: and J: to what you want.

9. cullism

cullism Thread Starter

Thanks!! I've now got the drive letters where I want them.

10. foxidrive

foxidrive Banned

11. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1082534

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice