1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Changing Drive letters

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by CarrollM, Nov 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. CarrollM

CarrollM Thread Starter

This might seem like a strange problem but it seems to happen when I reboot and now with three external drives it is becoming a problem. Now I have several external drives for various types of storage and changing the letter designations can cause problems when programs are downloading special files. Can I change the letters for all but the permanent drives A,C,D,E which are all correct.

2. shinybeast

shinybeast

Hello CarrollM,

You sure can.

Start Disk Management by Start > Run, type diskmgmt.msc and click OK.

You should see all the attached storage devices.
    Right-click the drive you want to change and click "Change Drive Letter and Paths" in the menu.
    Click Change to change the drive letter.

One thing you might like to do is mount the disk as a folder.
    Say, for example you had a hard disk devoted to work. You could create an empty folder on your main OS partition called Work and mount the drive to that folder by clicking Add (at the place where you clicked "Change" above) and browsing to the Work folder you created and click OK. Then, when the disk is attached, you can access it's contents through the folder you created. This helps avoid all the drive letter switching that occurs when you have different drives attached and unattached. Something to consider. You still would have to point the programs to the folder but once it's set, you won't have to make changes as long as that folder is there.

Hope that helps.

3. shinybeast

shinybeast

I didn't do the best job of explaining that. Once you reboot with a different configuration of drives attached, XP will assign them letters that will be different from what they were when the previous drives were attached. Assigning them to a folder skips the whole drive letter assignment thing so that they are accessible from the same place and your programs don't get confused.

4. CarrollM

CarrollM Thread Starter

Thank you juju68 for the information especially the one creating a folder for these extra drives. This will work very well with the way I use them since they are all not on all the time, special storage of different files mostly. So many thanks for the info and the suggestion it will avoid the possibility of "changed drive letters" on my system

carrollm

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/768394

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice