1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Changing from DSL to Cable

Discussion in 'Networking' started by Ohliger, Oct 30, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Ohliger

Ohliger Thread Starter

Okay, here is the setup. Right now I have cable coming in via a Motorola modem connected directly to one computer (work).

I have another computer hooked up to the Linksys Wireless-G router hooked up to a Westell modem hooked up to DSL.

What I want to do is put both computers on the Cable-> Motorola modem -> Linksys router -> 2 computers. Although the router is wireless, I do not need wireless connection.

How do I go about doing this? I tried disconnecting my home computer & hooking it up to the router & motorola modem, but I cannot get the router configured correctly to get on the internet. I have to IP address for the Cable, but don't know how to configure the linksys modem.

Any help is appreciated. Thanks!!!!

2. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Reset the router to factory default settings. Unplug the cable modem and router and shut down computer(s). Plug in modem, plug in router, boot computer(s).

If no internet access, clone to the router the MAC address of the computer that did have cable internet.

Set the wireless mode to 'disable' or 'off' if not using it. Else configure it as you want it.

3. Ohliger

Ohliger Thread Starter

My fear is that if I reset the router to the default settings, I'm going to have to reconfigure all of the wireless devices (which took hours & days to set up). I suppose I could copy everything before a reset.

I've read somewhere that I should try a MAC clone? and that usually solved the problem?

4. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

You can obviously try a MAC clone to see if that helps. Also, most routers have a capability to save your current settings to a file on your machine. You can do that in case you want to go back to what you currently have.

FWIW, we should be able to help you get the wireless setup without using hours & days. :)

5. Ohliger

Ohliger Thread Starter

Okay, let's say, hypothetically, I am able to get one computer up and running on the internet via my Linksys router and Motorola modem.... (wishful thinking).

How do I connect the 2nd computer? Just plug it into the router and it works?

6. JohnWill

The reason for connecting to the modem directly is to eliminate the modem and ISP from the failure scenario. We need to know if they're working.

If it works connected with a wire to the modem, and doesn't work connected with a wire to the router, try this:

Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on.

• Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
    • Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
    • Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
    • Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
    • Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
    • Boot the computer.

When the computer is completely booted, let's see this.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

7. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    In post #1 you said, "I do not need wireless connection."

In post #3 you said, "I'm going to have to reconfigure all of the wireless devices (which took hours & days to set up)."

My post #2 was not taking #3 into account. Instead of resetting to factory defaults you can just make sure the WAN section is set for a dynamic access--no PPP, no user account/password, etc.

8. Ohliger

Ohliger Thread Starter

Sorry, to clarify....

I want to hard-wire my 2 desktops to the router (no wireless), but I have a couple peripherals (like my Tivo) that I need to keep on wireless.

I think if I get one computer set up and working, then hopefully, the 2nd one will be easy. They should make these routers more "plug-n-play"... ie. Routers for Dummies

9. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    So just do it! :)

If you don't want to reset to factory default ...

Connect one computer (and nothing else) to a LAN port of the router. If you are getting internet access through the modem on only one computer, use that computer.

Login and navigate to the WAN (Internet) section. Select "Dynamic" connection.

Clone the MAC address of the computer if only one is getting internet access though the modem.

Unplug the modem and router. Shut down computer(s).

Connect modem to router WAN (Internet, modem) port. Optionally connect additional computer to another LAN port.

Plug in modem; plug in router; boot computer(s).

Report success here. :)

10. Ohliger

Ohliger Thread Starter

Okay, here is my story (and I'm sticking to it).

Thanks for your patience & help.

I disconnected my DSL modem.
    I connected the cable to my Motorola SB modem.
    I connected the ethernet cable from the modem to the router.
    I connected another ethernet cable from the router to the computer.

I rebooted everything (in order) and did the suggestion above to no avail.

I'm sure that I have the router setting screwed up somehow. See if you can find my error?

Basic Setup
    (changed from PPPeO to Automatic Config DHCP)
    Router Name: WRT54GS
    Host Name (blank)
    Domain: (blank)
    MTV: Auto
    Local IP: 192.168.1.1
    Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
    DHCP Server: enable
    Static DNS: 98.203.83.55

DDNS Service: disable

MAC Address Clone
    enable: 00:14:BF:58:B1:48

Advance Routing
    Operating Mode: (changed from Gateway to Router)
    RIP: WAN
    Router Name: (blank)
    Destination LAN IP: (blank)
    Subnet Mask: (blank)
    Default Gateway: (blank)
    Interface: WAN

Routing Table
    Destination IP Subnet Mask Gateway Interface
    0.0.0.0 255.255.255.0 98.203.78.179 WAN
    0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 98.203.76.1 WAN
    98.203.76.0 255.255.252.0 98.203.78.179 WAN
    192.168.1.0 255.255.255.0 192.168.1.1 LAN & Wireless

11. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Are you sure that Static DNS is correct? FWIW I cannot ping it.

The "Advance Routing" and "Routing Table" are beyond my knowledge.

Can you be more specific that "no avail"? Is the router getting an IP configuration from you ISP?

12. Ohliger

Ohliger Thread Starter

I tried doing the changes and I still am not able to access the internet.

On the "Advanced routing" should I have named the router?

Oh, the IP address for the Comcast is 99.203.83.58. Should I put this somewhere????

- I'm a router idiot

13. JohnWill

I still suggest my reset process, it's really not that difficult with the help here to get the wireless working again. Besides, it's not working now, right? ;)

Reset the router to factory defaults by holding the reset button down for 15 seconds with power on.

• Turn off everything, the modem, router, computer.
    • Connect the modem to the router's WAN/Internet port.
    • Connect the computer to one of the router's LAN/Network ports.
    • Turn on the modem, wait for a steady connect light.
    • Turn on the router, wait for two minutes.
    • Boot the computer.

When the computer is completely booted, let's see this.

Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt:

Type the following command:

IPCONFIG /ALL

Right click in the command window and choose Select All, then hit Enter.
    Paste the results in a message here.

If you are on a machine with no network connection, use a floppy, USB disk, or a CD-RW disk to transfer a text file with the information to allow pasting it here.

14. Ohliger

Ohliger Thread Starter

Okay, I don't know what I did differently... except resetting the modem, but when I rebooted my computer to get the ipconfig/all.... the internet was up and working.

Then, I simply plugged the ethernet cable on my 2nd computer into the router, and it WORKS TOO !!!!

Thank you so much for your help... both Terry & John... you guys are geniouses

15. JohnWill

Glad we could help. Sometimes it helps to just retrace your steps when something that seems obvious doesn't work. :)

You can mark your own threads solved using the thread tools at the top of the page in the upper right corner.© :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/645655

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice