1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Changing from IE to Mozilla/firefox

Discussion in 'All Other Software' started by Hopey, Jun 15, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Hopey

Hopey Thread Starter

I've read that the Firefox/mozilla web browser is a LOT safer than IE in terms of spyware and malware and am considering changing to it.

The problem is I don't know anything about browsers other than IE;
    I have a windows 98 SE computer with IE 6 on it, can I just download firefox and start using it? Do I have to uninstall IE first? Does Firefox operate and look similar or is it more complicated? Finally, is it really 'safer' to use than IE?

Thanks
    Hopey

2. Rockn

Rockn

Yes, just download it and install it. It is not a lot different as it is just a web browser, but it does have nice features like tabbed browsing. A new browser is not going to keep you safe from internet nasties and you will still need your compliment of AV and spy/malware software to at least be semi-safe.

3. Augie65

Augie65

No, you don't need or really should uninstall IE. You can have as many browsers that you want. I have Firefox and IE on this computer and I sometimes open both to check something out. Firefox runs without being tied to Windows like IE. You can leave IE as your default browser if you want and just open Firefox to browse. Or you can set Firefox as default. I am running XP on this computer, but I have Firefox installed on my wife's computer running 98SE and IE both. Just try Firefox, if you don't like it, you can just uninstall it. I believe you will like it though. If you have any problems, just post on this forum and you will get help.

4. TOGG

TOGG

Have a look at this Wikipedia comparison of browsers; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comparison_of_web_browsers

IE6 SP1 can be made 'safer' to use if you take steps to deal with its more 'dangerous' aspects like ActiveX, cross domain scripting etc. I used the settings advised in this article before I finally switched to Opera nearly two years ago; http://www.spywarewarrior.com/uiuc/btw/ie/ie-opts.htm

Even though I no longer need it for updates, I won't be attempting to uninstall IE myself because it is so closely integrated with the OS and shares a lot of files. If you lock it down as recommended in the article I linked to, and then use another browser, that is probably as much as you can do.

I am not an expert and I had no problems in simply d/l and using Opera (although I have a copy of Firefox in reserve as well with the Noscript extension installed). I just use my ISP to get online, minmize its IE based browser, and then open Opera.

5. v1nce

v1nce

As others said, don't remove IE. I personally use Seamonkey (used to be called Mozilla Suite) for my browser and I also use Firefox. You really shouldn't have much difficulty using them, don't worry; try what you want out and have fun!

6. wilson44512

wilson44512

7. Hopey

Hopey Thread Starter

Thanks for the replies. I'll download it and give it a try.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!