1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Changing out a laptop processor

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ___, Jun 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ___

___ Thread Starter

I'm looking for an ultraportable laptop for mostly simple tasks but I will also need it for more taxing software like photoshop and premiere pro. I've found this Asus UL30A-X5 that will fulfill most of my requirements (4gb of ram, under 4lbs, long (5-6hrs) battery life) but it has a meager 1.3Ghz processor. The current processor in the machine is the su4100 and I would like to replace that with something like the sl9600 for the extra power.

I am wondering, firstly, if it would be physically possible to open the laptop and replace the processor because I have never worked on a laptop before. Secondly, I am wondering how drastic the effect would be on the 12 hours of advertised battery life (I would like it to run for at least 5 hours). Lastly, would the machine be able to handle the extra heat given off?

In my search for a laptop, this Asus with a faster processor is the best match I can come up with to meet my demanding requirements. Of course, I would ideally like to purchase a laptop without having to replace parts so any suggestions for a completely different laptop would be even more appreciated than an answer to my processor questions.

If this isn't possible I think I'm going to compromise on the weight for the 4.5lb macbook pro 13" because it otherwise meets my requirements despite my preference for the windows 7 OS.

I'm lost so thanks for any help you can provide!

2. DoubleHelix

DoubleHelix Banned

Laptops have limited upgradeability, and the processor is an area that generally shouldn't be upgraded. Laptops will only support a small set of processor upgrades. If you think you can buy a low-end laptop and pop in a high-end processor, you're seriously mistaken. The board won't handle it. The chassis won't handle it. "Opening" a laptop involves removing dozens of tiny screws of all different sizes and removing many small, fragile, pieces of plastic. Most people lose or damage at least one part when disassembling a laptop. And of course doing so completely voids the warranty, so if you break something, you're out the cost to replace or repair it.

Buy a laptop that actually meets your needs.

3. Frank4d

Frank4d Retired Trusted Advisor

The processor is a ball grid array (BGA) part that cannot be replaced without the proper equipment. There is a 99.99% chance you don't have that unless you have access to a high-tech board manufacturing facility.

4. ___

___ Thread Starter

I figured it was a long shot. Thanks for your replies. Its coming down to either a thinkpad x201s or a macbook pro which offers an inch more of display and discrete graphics but an extra pound of weight is the trade-off. I guess I've learned that ultra-portables are all compromise.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/928736

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice