1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: changing partition on a hard drive

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by dwaynea515, Jan 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. dwaynea515

dwaynea515 Thread Starter

I have a 60GB hard drive that has both C and D partition. C drive is full and I want to delete the D drive and use the entire 60Gb for the C drive. Is there a simple way to do this? I am using windows XP home. I went into Disk Management and deleted the D drive but it is still unused space.

2. N E Key

N E Key

You're gonna need a package that can resize partions, like Partition Magic. Here is link to a free partition management software, never used it, but give it a try.
    "http://www.ranish.com/part/"

3. dwaynea515

OK I bought Acronis Disk Director, It finds everything but it still will not let me resize the C: drive. I wonder if I ghost it to another drive then reformat this HD can I ghost it back without also ghosting the partitions?

4. Elvandil

Elvandil

Acronis will let you resize. Make the bootable Acronis CD, boot from it, delete the D: partition, resize the C: partition. Be aware that the drive letters may change in Acronis (though probably not C:).

If you need to keep the contents of D:, then use the "Merge" function instead.

(Your other plan should have worked. You can usually "ghost" back a partition to a larger partition with most imaging software.)

5. dwaynea515

Thank you Elvandil, I am in the process of formatting a 20GB HD now to ghost the drive on to. It will be a good backup in case something goes wrong. I will let you know

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

Very wise. The bootable Acronis CD will make quick work of the partition manipulations, but a backup is always a very good idea, of course.

7. dwaynea515

Sorry I didnt get back to you sooner, The Acronis CD took care of it. Thanks again for the help

8. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's good news. I'm an Acronis fan and I couldn't just let you think that you bought it for no reason. It's a very useful tool, and even if you only used it once, cheaper then the shop. I tend to prefer the bootable CD for most things since the possibility of a running OS interfering with things is removed.

9. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/538986

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice