Tech Support Guy banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

{SOLVED}Changing the "Starting Windows X" Screen

1K views 4 replies 4 participants last post by  Bumper 
#1 ·
I did a search for this problem and found a solution that said there should be a file in the c:\ directory called logo.sys that held the BMP picture of the "Starting Windows X"
splash screen displayed during system startup.

I have Windows 98 and this file does not exist on my system, I tried creating a BMP and saving it as this filename but then no splash screen was displayed during system startup! - is it a format issue maybe?

#2 ·
They need to be 320x400 pixels, 256 colors, exist in the root and be .bmp files. Keep in mind that Windows will "stretch" it to 640x480 before it's displayed, so allow for it or you may get a distorted image.

BTW, even though W98 does display a logo.sys during startup, it does not store the logo.sys file in the root. I can't remember how it's done but you won't find a logo.sys on a W98 system. But W98 does look to the root for a logo.sys and will use it, if it meets the above mentioned specs.

[This message has been edited by bhesson (edited 05-26-2000).]

#4 ·
Another alternative - download the free ZDNet Logo Manager, which will offer several screens to choose from, for start, shutting down, and end. Although the latter two aren't seen in Win98 generally. You can add images to library for this, also. It will place a Logo tab on your Display control panel. Even though it says it's for Win95, it does work fine in Win98, too.

[This message has been edited by Jim Holly (edited 05-27-2000).]

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.