1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Changing the white in an open window.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Lori 1, Jan 20, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Lori 1

Lori 1 Thread Starter

Can anyone tell me how to change the white to a different color in the background of an open window? I have problems with headaches and am hoping this change will help with the eye strain and the headaches.

2. Chicon

Chicon

Hi Lori1,

Right-click anywhere on your desktop, click on 'Properties' in the context menu that will open.
    Click on the third tab from the left then browse in the lower pane and select 'Window'.

3. 1101doc

1101doc

After the "Properties" dialog opens, the tab for this function is labled "Appearance." It will be necessary to open the "Advanced" button. When the new dialog box opens, there will be a narrow little [one line] box with a down arrow on the right. Use the little arrow to open the drop-down menu and scroll to "window" and highlight[one left click]. "Window" will snap to the box. To the right it will show "Color 1" with another little down arrow. Activate the arrow and several color choices will present. At the bottom it will say "Other..." Should you choose that, another dialog box will appear in which you can customize any color to your liking. [Play around and get the feel] When you have selected your color, <OK> takes you back a step at a time. When you get back to the main "Display Properties" dialog box choose "Apply." A blue Windows announcement box will appear asking you to "Please wait." Your whole desktop will temporarily go grey! This is normal. After a few seconds everything will return, and the changes you made will be in effect. Now one last <OK> and it's saved and done. If you explore your options many changes are possible. I have my tooltips bright yellow for example. This allows a very personalized appearance of XP.

4. Lori 1

Lori 1 Thread Starter

I Thank you both for your replies. On the first reply from Chicon I didn't quite understand it once I got to a certain point. 1101doc's reply is more understandable to me and I followed all the steps. Everything went as doc wrote but it only turned a few things on an open window gray as that's what I changed it to, but didn't turn the white in the background to gray. Is it possible to turn that also to Gray?

5. Lori 1

Lori 1 Thread Starter

The more windows I open the dimmer the color gets. So I think my question is answered. Thank you again. (y)

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/536930

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice