1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Changing to different browser

Discussion in 'Web & Email' started by kenneth7379, Jan 13, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. kenneth7379

kenneth7379 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ken
    I've just had a computer failure and had to buy a new (used) tower. It came loaded with Windows XP and some version of Internet Explorer - don't know which one. I'm having a great deal of difficulty using the browser and need to go back to what I was using (IE6). I know all of the arguments for updating and frankly don't care....I just want IE6 back. I tried to download it from the internet, but keep getting a message that there's a newer version loaded and it won't load IE6. I would really appreciate it if someone could tell me how to do this. I'm so frustrated I'm ready to throw this thing out the window. Please don't give me ten good reasons why I should update....I want IE6 sp3.

2. Ent

Ent Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Josiah
    I think you need to tell us which version of IE you have at present.
    Press Alt, go the the Help menu, and click "about internet explorer"

I would also suggest that you give a bit more detail about why you want to downgrade. As you are aware there are very strong arguments for upgrading and wanting to downgrade should logically require an argument at least as strong. It is entirely possible that people will be able to find you a third solution that doesn't involve the security and other problems associated with the downgrade while removing the issues you're having. For example they might be able to recommend another free browser without the problem or to explain how to configure IE 7 or 8 to respond as you're used to it.

3. kenneth7379

First Name:
    Ken
    I just had a look. This computer is using IE8.

My reasons for wanting my old system back are pretty simple. I'm someone who doesn't adapt well to change, and the computer is no exception. I bought this computer for my wife and she passed away a few weeks later before I'd learned anything about using it. So when it became mine, I spent years learning to use it effectively. I accidentally upgraded to IE7 after I'd been using the computer about two years and discovered it was just like starting over. I had a wrangle with Microsoft and they eventually (and very reluctantly) helped me to restore it to IE6. About two years later, a friend's son installed a bunch of extra memory chips for me and without asking , he installed Firefox Mozilla. I used it for a couple of days, was absolutely miserable with it, and then discovered that the IE6 was still programmed. I erased the Firefox, went back to IE6 and have been a happy camper ever since. I'm prepared to live with the limitations that having an outdated browser entails (there are some sites I can't access), but I don't think I can make the transition to a newer system. I think it's more likely that I'll give up the computer if I can't solve this problem.

4. galoryber

galoryber

this is more a message for somebody who could try this out or knows if it will work.

I clean install XP often, and it comes with IE6 on it with the SP3 disc, IE7 or 8 come through windows updates. Could it be as easy as uninstalling those updates? I'd try myself but I don't have a system I can spare right now.. If that changes, then I'll just try myself :)

5. kenneth7379

First Name:
    Ken
    I went back to the original computer's box to look and see if Windows XP was on a disc, thinking I'd just erase everything on the new computer and reprogram it from the original's disc and then download IE6 from an online site. I've got all the discs that came with the computer, but no XP disc, so I guess the operating system must be built in. (Learning all kinds of things here).

I finally gave up, disconnected the tower, and went back to the dealer I bought it from. He was nice enough to do it for me on the spot at no charge, so this issue is solved.

Thanks for your advice.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/974507

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice