1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Changing Windows explorer default folder

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Markd8b, Oct 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Markd8b

Markd8b Thread Starter

When I right click on Start and choose Explore, the default folder is C:\..bla bla\Start Menu

I want to change that so the default folder that opens is my network drive. I have found how to change the target folder when I go to Programs>Accessories>Windows Explorer (change the Target in Properties), but that change did not affect the window that opens up when I right click on the Start menu and choose Explore.

How do I change that default folder?

thanks!

2. Claymore

Claymore

You would have to change that in the Registry at this key:

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders

In the right-hand pane look for 'Start Menu" and edit the path.
    Backup the key (File -> Export) before editing anything.

3. Markd8b

Markd8b Thread Starter

OK, I've gotten to the part where I found the key. It is currently:
    %USERPROFILE%\Start Menu

What do I need to change it to for it to open up the root of my H:\ drive?

thanks

4. Claymore

Claymore

If that's all you want, then it would be just:
    H:\

Backup the key (User Shell Folders) before you change anything, so you can restore it if you have to.

5. Claymore

Claymore

Just to add - this is a strange request. Wouldn't a shortcut on your desktop to the H: drive, perhaps dragged to the Quick Launch toolbar, not be a better solution?

6. Markd8b

Markd8b Thread Starter

Well...perhaps for some. But I like being able to use Windows Explorer to manage my files and the above worked just GREAT for me.

thanks for your help!!

On a related side note: When I re-booted, and opened up Explorer, It opened my root H:\ drive like I wanted, but the folder icons have now changed. Rather than being the typical yellow folder icon, they are now an icon that looks like the yellow folder with a table(?), or something like that, in front of the folder.

Not a big deal, but curious as to why the change.

Again, thanks for your help!

7. Claymore

Claymore

Can't picture it, but probably to indicate they are on a network drive.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/755786

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice