Solved: changing windows vista to windows 7

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

muttley45

g'day guys,
i am intending to update my laptop from vista to windows 7,my question is will i lose all my current desktop contents like games,pictures,anti virus and malware programs or will all be retained,do i have to make a backup disc first or just install windows 7 by the disc it comes on,any suggestions greatly appreciated

leroys1000

Banned
Usually,if all goes well,it will just indicate what programs and hardware
drivers need updated or are not compatable.
Worse case,you could lose everything.
Always best practice to make a complete backup in case anything goes wrong.
In my opinion,it is better to save what data you need,then do a clean installation.
Then install your hardware drivers and programs.
Still a good idea to make a backup first.

backup anything Important before installing windows 7.

Programe wise, usually stays there.

Drivers may need updates, but that will usually be promted by windows,
if not get the Win7 ones from the manufactures website.

Good luck.

DoubleHelix

Banned
The type of install is dependent on what version of Vista is installed and what version of 7 you're upgrading to. If you're moving from 32-bit Vista to 64-bit 7, you have to do a custom install which wipes out the existing Vista installation.

If you are going from 32 bit Vista to Windows 7, am I asking for trouble? What kinds of additional problems would I have? How hard is it to do custom install? What parameters should I select?

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online