Solved: Changing wireless connection status from "Manually Configured" back to "Automatic"

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

1techgirl

Hello Guys and Girls,

My wireless internet connections are currently set to a manually configured status, but this means I am having problems connecting to other wireless connections with free (ie unsecured) connections. I have tried going to properties and ticking the "Let Windows configure my wireless network settings", but I get a dialogue box coming up telling me that not all of my changes have been made.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Sukita

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
Why don't we start with the make/model of the wireless router in use, as well as the wireless adapter or laptop brand. Also, what version and patch level of Windows do you use?

If you have XP-SP2, you can set the machine back to installation defaults using the following procedure.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

1techgirl

JohnWill

Thank you for your reply!

The router is a 3 com office connect ADSL Wireless 11g Firewall Router model number 3CRWDR100Y-72. My laptop is an ASUS A4744G-UH, I use Windows XP with service pack 2 with all updates up to date as of today.

Regarding your reply, if I do reset the defaults, would I lose my keys for my existing wireless connections that I use at home? Will I have to reset them?

Thank you again and hope to hear from you soon.

Sukita

1techgirl

JohnWill

Heck, I did it anyway, and ............. it worked! Thank you very much for your help. BTW my keys were intact, so I had no problems there either.

Great job!

Sukita

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. Please start a New Thread if you're having a similar issue. View our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online