1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Changing wireless connection status from "Manually Configured" back to "Automatic"

Discussion in 'Networking' started by 1techgirl, Aug 18, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. 1techgirl

1techgirl Thread Starter

Hello Guys and Girls,

My wireless internet connections are currently set to a manually configured status, but this means I am having problems connecting to other wireless connections with free (ie unsecured) connections. I have tried going to properties and ticking the "Let Windows configure my wireless network settings", but I get a dialogue box coming up telling me that not all of my changes have been made.

Any ideas? Thank you in advance.

Sukita

2. JohnWill

JohnWill Retired Moderator

Why don't we start with the make/model of the wireless router in use, as well as the wireless adapter or laptop brand. Also, what version and patch level of Windows do you use?

If you have XP-SP2, you can set the machine back to installation defaults using the following procedure.

TCP/IP stack repair options for use with Windows XP with SP2.

For these commands, Start, Run, CMD to open a command prompt.

Reset WINSOCK entries to installation defaults: netsh winsock reset catalog

Reset TCP/IP stack to installation defaults. netsh int ip reset reset.log

3. 1techgirl

1techgirl Thread Starter

JohnWill

Thank you for your reply!

The router is a 3 com office connect ADSL Wireless 11g Firewall Router model number 3CRWDR100Y-72. My laptop is an ASUS A4744G-UH, I use Windows XP with service pack 2 with all updates up to date as of today.

Regarding your reply, if I do reset the defaults, would I lose my keys for my existing wireless connections that I use at home? Will I have to reset them?

Thank you again and hope to hear from you soon.

Sukita

4. 1techgirl

1techgirl Thread Starter

JohnWill

Heck, I did it anyway, and ............. it worked! Thank you very much for your help. BTW my keys were intact, so I had no problems there either.

Great job!

Sukita

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!