1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Changing XP's Login Screen

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by Zovc, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Zovc

Zovc Thread Starter

I've seen some windows XP installations use an old school, 95-esque login dialogue. The one I have, however, uses the (default, presumably) blue screen with user icons. Is there a way for me to change this? I'd prefer it if my computer booted into XP with my username in the user field and the cursor in the password field for me to enter my password and hit enter to log in.

2. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Well, I don't know if you want to do the following or not but I found that Returnil, which is a sort of real time viral protection/virtual disk program does what you described for startup login. I use the virtual disk part and not the viral part which doesn't seem very good.

You might want to just skip the whole login process though if this is a home computer by logging in automatically after setting it up in the configuration you come to by typing control userpasswords2 in the Run dialogue box.

3. Zovc

Zovc Thread Starter

What I'm describing doesn't require any additional software (to my knowledge), it just seems to be the default for certain Windows XP installations; it is almost always the login screen I see on business computers.

For privacy purposes, I want a password on this computer. I'm living with others, and I will have the laptop with me in public. I'm not worried about encryption in the case of the computer getting stolen, I just don't want people using the computer without my consent. Practically, a password is going to be good enough for that. The default Windows XP login screen is good enough for that, just, the login dialogue I've seen before would be more efficient, not requiring me to click on anything.

4. fairnooks

fairnooks Banned

Seems like I've seen that as the default too, but since Windows 7 does it that way by default when there is just one listed user, and I've seen that so often, I'm not sure anymore. I was just remembering one way I knew for sure.

In Control Panel>User Accounts>Change the way users log on or off, you can switch off the Use the Welcome screen. Then maybe if there is only one user, or after the first time user name is input, it will be there as default and all you need do is enter the password. Something to try if you haven't.

5. Zovc

Zovc Thread Starter

That did it, actually. Even if I have to type my username in whenever I boot this laptop, I'd rather do that then poke around with this touchpad.

Thanks for the help!

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/975455

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice