1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: check cable connection pxe-m0f exiting intel pxe rom no bootable device

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by ll-dAb-ll, Nov 6, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ll-dAb-ll

ll-dAb-ll Thread Starter

My sister's laptop just suddenly died. It's an Acer Aspire Timeline X and has been going well for over 4 years now.

Just today, she was using her computer, locked it, and then went down for dinner, when she came back up, the computer screen was blank, and unresponsive. Upon doing a hard-reset, she came across this error message

Code:
    check cable connection pxe-m0f exiting intel pxe rom no bootable device
    I Googled the error message, and did everything they said, and the error still came up.

This is what I did so far:
    1. Took the Hard Drive out, and put it back in - did nothing
    2. Tried booting into the eRecovery (manufacturer software) via ALT + F10, nothing happened.
    3. Changed the boot order, did nothing.
    4. Tried booting into Windows repair, via disk - did not detect the hard drive, only Disk 0 (0MB) was there.

So right now, I'm thinking it's either a corrupt hard drive, or there's a connection issue.

Any suggestions? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

How much do you think this will cost to fix, if we took it to a store? (Warranty expired 3 years ago)

Attached Files:

2. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Considering it's a 4-year old laptop, I'm guessing the hard drive has died and needs to be replaced.

If that's confirmed, Windows 7 will need to be installed in the new hard drive.

Did a reinstallation disc come with that laptop?

----------------------------------------------------------

3. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Probably worse than "corrupt" since BIOS does not detect it. My thinking is the same as Frank's.

4. ll-dAb-ll

ll-dAb-ll Thread Starter

No, but we do have a copy of windows 7 home premium (product key used). And the laptop has the product key underneath, would that work?

5. ll-dAb-ll

ll-dAb-ll Thread Starter

Is there any explanation as to why it was working fine one minute, and then suddenly dead the next?

6. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    Yes; a critical component failed and did not have the courtesy to announce its impending death ahead of time. It could be something on the motherboard, or a wire in the drive's power or data cable, or something in the drive itself.

I've had similar things happen to me just in the last half year. One example ... Was reading a book on my (original) Kindle Fire, pressed the button to put it into sleep mode. Ten minutes later picked it up to continue reading and the thing was completely dead. Battery had died that quickly and with no prior symptoms.

7. ll-dAb-ll

ll-dAb-ll Thread Starter

Sorry about the delay, I finish exams in a few days, but I got impatient, and swapped my HDD (Win 8.1) with my Sister's (the broken one, Win 7), and:

1. My HDD gave the same error on her laptop, thinking that a HDD formatted under UEFI wouldn't work in BIOS, I looked in the BIOS, and saw that my HDD was recognised, so her laptop is fine.
    2. I put her HDD in my laptop, and it came up with "Operating System not found", I'm quite new to UEFI, so I didn't know how to see what drives it could boot up.

So now we're faced with what to replace the HDD with, so my question to you is,
    1. Is there any way to recover the information on the corrupt HDD? How much would it cost?
    2. Why did my HDD not boot up on my sister's laptop?
    3. Will we face the same problem if I install Windows 8.1 onto her new hard drive/SSD?
    4. Any recommendations regarding SSDs? We're looking at the Samsung Evo 840 120GB, she doesn't use much, is this a good one?

8. TerryNet

TerryNet Moderator

First Name:
    Terry
    1. Probably, at least some of it. Somewhere between almost free and tens of thousands of dollars.
    2. Because you did not install an operating system or anything else bootable would be my guess.
    3. Yes/no/maybe. Yes if Acer says the PC is not compatible with 8.1. No if Acer says the PC is compatible with 8.1. Maybe if Acer doesn't say.

9. ll-dAb-ll

ll-dAb-ll Thread Starter

I went to the Acer site, and saw they only have drivers up to Windows 7 64 bit. Will Windows 7 drivers work on Windows 8?

EDIT: Added Specs
    Acer Aspire 4820TG-434G64Mn
    :: Processor
    Intel Core i5-430M 2.26 GHz
    :: Mainboard
    Intel HM55
    :: Memory
    4096 MB, 2x 2048 MByte DDR3-8500 (1066 MHz)
    :: Graphics adapter
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 - 1024 MB, Core: 550 MHz, Memory: 800 MHz, DDR3, 8.692.1.0, Switchable Graphics: Intel GMA HD
    :: Display
    14.0 inch 16:9, 1366x768 pixel, LED-Backlight, AUO303C, glossy: yes
    :: Harddisk
    WDC Scorpio Blue WD6400BEVT-22A0RT0, 640 GB 5400 rpm
    :: Soundcard
    Realtek ALC269 @ Intel Ibex Peak PCH
    :: Connections
    4 USB 2.0, 1 VGA, 1 HDMI, 1 Kensington Lock, Audio Connections: Headphones/Line-out (including S/PDIF), Microphone, Card Reader: MMC, SD, MS, MS Pro, xD,
    :: Networking
    Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (10/100/1000MBit), Atheros AR5B93 Wireless Network Adapter (a b g n ), 2.1 Bluetooth
    :: Optical drive
    TSSTcorp CDDVDW TS-U633F
    :: Size
    height x width x depth (in mm): 30 x 342 x 245
    :: Weight
    2.1 kg
    :: Battery
    66 Wh Lithium-Ion, 6 cell
    :: Price
    900 Euro
    :: Operating System
    Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium 64 Bit

Attached Files:

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    According to a driver search for these primary devices

ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5650 Graphics

Realtek ALC269 High Definition Audio

Atheros AR8151 PCI-E Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Atheros AR5B93 802.11a/b/g/n Wireless Network Adapter

in your Acer Aspire 4820TG laptop, they're all supported by Windows 8.1 32-bit/64-bit. (y)

--------------------------------------------------------------------

11. ll-dAb-ll

ll-dAb-ll Thread Starter

Okay, thanks. I'll update whether it's successful. Any SSD recommendations?

12. ll-dAb-ll

ll-dAb-ll Thread Starter

UPDATE:
    Okay, all working fine now. We bought a 250GB Samsung Evo 840 SSD. It's amazing. Drivers installed fine (except Bluetooth, which had compatibility problems, which I can fix with changing compatibility to Windows 7).

Thank you to everyone who commented. :)

13. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Glad to hear you got it resolved. (y)

Most people don't use the bluetooth device anyway.

----------------------------------------------------------

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!