1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[Solved] Checking my codecs?

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by flamingsouls, Jan 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. flamingsouls

flamingsouls Thread Starter

Hi all,

I recently got a .mpeg movie and watched it on my home Windows 2000 computer. It works great. I believe I was using maybe windows media 7 or 8. When I went to move that file to my laptop with XP and media player 9, it says that it doesn't support the file. But the file is in .mpeg format. Is this a codec problem? If so, how do I find out which codecs I have installed on my 2000 machine so I can get the movie to work on my XP?

thx
    Josh

2. monted

monted

have you downloaded the WMP codecs from Windows Update?

3. flamingsouls

Yea I did that, but now that I have found out what I needed to do I got it back to working on XP.

thx
    Josh

4. Dan O

Dan O

That's great, can you share what it took so it can help others? I will mark your thread solved.

5. flamingsouls

My codecs were basically the same, so I checked the properties of the Windows media players, and I found out that in 2000, I had this Elecard MPEG2 properities on it, so I went to Elecard's website, www.elecard.com and downloaded the decoder. It has this demultiplexer in and I believe that's what fixed it for me in XP.

thx
    Josh

6. Dan O

Dan O

Nice job and thanks for sharing.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/113735

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice