1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] checksum error

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by JediKnightr, Feb 17, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JediKnightr

JediKnightr Thread Starter

Hi! I was just given an unused computer. It is a PII Celeron with a Tekram P6B40-A4X motherboard and 128MB PC133 SDRAM.
    For some reason, whenever I power it on, this is all I see:

Award BootBlock BIOS v1.0
    Copyright (c) 1998, Award Software, Inc.

BIOS ROM checksum error

Detecting floppy drive A:
    Insert System Disk and press enter

The keyboard (which I know works) won't let me in to the BIOS. I've tried pressing Delete, F1, F2, F3, F4, F5, F6, etc.

Help!

2. Linkmaster

Linkmaster

Hi JediKnoghtr, Welcome to TSG !!
    Try this site it should help!
    [​IMG]

3. JSanguancheu

JSanguancheu

See if you can find the jumper on the mobo that resets the CMOS settings. It's usually a 3 pin jumper that has pin 1 and 2 covered. To reset, turn off the PC and move the jumper to pins 2 & 3. Leave it on there for about 10 seconds, then move the jumper back to 1 & 2.

If you can't find that, you can try taking out the CMOS battery for a few seconds also.

Here's a link to the owners manual: http://www.tekram.com/documentation.asp?Product=P6B40-A4X

Also:
    1. Make sure the memory is seated firmly
    2. Check all the IDE cable connections are in firmly and the red stripe is on the pin1 side at both the device end and the motherboard end.

good luck

4. BTS '76

BTS '76

to enter set-up try (control, alt., esc.)

5. JediKnightr

no, that didn't work

6. JediKnightr

Well, ther is no BIOS flash, and I tried powering it on without the CMOS then putting it back in, but that didn't work either. At one of the sites it said that the mobo might be bad, and I think that is the case. Dang!

7. BTS '76

BTS '76

before you spend that kind on $$$, try replacing the cmos battery.

8. JediKnightr

Alright, I replaced the CMOS battery with one from a working PC but still the same error message.

9. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

???? What do you mean by that?

10. JediKnightr

I took out the CMOS battery, powered it on, let it run for like 15 seconds, turned it off, put the CMOS battery back in, and then powerd it on.

11. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Did you try shorting the jumper pin? Disconnect the power supply to the motherboard first.

12. JediKnightr

yeah, but that didn't help

13. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master

Howdy there JediKnightr...

Did you check the link that TW56 provided in post #2 ?

Because the error BIOS ROM checksum error, and CMOS checksum error are 2 different errors, and you could indeed be looking at a bad BIOS...

What you can try is flashing the BIOS, and see if it will help, after going through the motherboard trouble shooting provided in the link in post # 2...

Here is the link to the BIOS flash ( I wouldn't try the Beta flash just yet )...

http://www.tekram.com/updates.asp?Product=P6B40-A4X

14. JediKnightr

Yeah, I tried flashing the BIOS, but still I can't enter the BIOS to flash it with the latest update. I just noticed today that even Num Lock and Caps Lock don't turn on (no light). This happens even with different keyboards, one of which I'm typing on now.

15. JediKnightr

OK, I just got done reading Link #2, and think the problem is the keyboard controller, since I know the keyboards work and know the CPU, RAM, and Video are all seated.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/119330

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice