1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: CHIC - Other Hardware - USB Browser Mouse Update

Discussion in 'Windows Vista' started by JustSomeGuy1, Mar 7, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. JustSomeGuy1

JustSomeGuy1 Thread Starter

After I downloaded and installed this update my labtec usb mouse has stopped
    working. I also tried my generic wireless mouse and my other hp wireless mouse and
    I would always come up with the same error.

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while
    attempting to install it.
    USB Browser Mouse
    An error occurred during the installation of the device.
    The driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary entry.
    This may be because the INF was written for Windows 95 or later. Contact your
    hardware vendor.
    If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and
    check the support section for driver software.

Is there anyway of removing the CHIC driver that windows update installed?

2. JustSomeGuy1

JustSomeGuy1 Thread Starter

nvm i fixed it : ) umm how do i mark this as solve again i forgot? nvm i found that out too... if anyone has the same problem i actually found the answer off a review of a keyboardmouse combo on amazon...

I had 2 'unknown devices' listed in Device Manager even after downloading the Vista drivers from www.microsoft.com/hardware. I looked through my C:\windows\inf folder (to find the driver that was installed, sorted the inf files by date, and then deleted the 2 inf files that were installed on this date). I then went to Device Manager and did a driver update on the 2 unknown devices and they finally installed fine. Now the onboard mouse and other functions work with the keyboard. If you have the same problem, go into your Windows Update install history and find the install date for the CHIC hardware and follow my steps above (using the date you installed it through Windows Update).

I just did what the guy said and the tried updating the unknown device and click let me select recommended driver and u select mouse and your all done : )

3. Gotrek65

Gotrek65

I'm having the same issue, I'm using XP trying to find a driver for the CHIC USB Browser Mouse and Vista says it's found a driver for it. But when I go to download that driver I get a code 800F0219. I'm not sure what that code means i'll do some more searching to see what I can find. I'm posting here because I'm not sure what you did in the c:\windows\inf folder.

Ok so I found what the error message means:
    800F0219 2148467225 SPAPI_E_NO_ASSOCIATED_SERVICE: The installation failed because a function driver was not specified for this device instance.

Ok so i've gone ahead and backed up and then deleted all of what I could in the c:\windows\inf folder.
    I then went into device manager and uninstalled all 3 unknown devices(1 in my mouse i know for sure) for good measure.
    I then made it scan for new hardware changes.
    I canceled all 3 dialogs to install a driver.
    Then I went into the Windows update and had it scan for updates.
    Selected all except language packs and had it install them.
    And I still get the error.
    Can someon tell me why I can't get this stupid update from Microsoft?

4. ccandeland

ccandeland

Hi I have had the same problem with the chic optical mouse driver on Vista. I have followed what you have both said and deleted all the files from .inf folder after I got the error updating message from windows. I then disabled the mouse from the device manager and rebooted

I then re-enabled the mouse after the reboot and it works fine now. Thanks for your help guys.

Chris
    www.thegadgetshop.net

5. Talador

Talador

if u got that error

Windows found driver software for your device but encountered an error while
    attempting to install it.
    USB Browser Mouse
    An error occurred during the installation of the device.
    The driver installation file for this device is missing a necessary entry.
    This may be because the INF was written for Windows 95 or later. Contact your
    hardware vendor.
    If you know the manufacturer of your device, you can visit its website and
    check the support section for driver software

1st open start menu click search >advance search >put this word in the name : msmouse
    and dont forget to check mark Include non-index..etc
    it will result folders and files with same name should be somthing like

x:\Windows\System32\DriverStore\FileRepository\msmouse.inf_*

copy the folder and pst it on desktop or where ever u want

then open ur device manger then look under unknown devices u will find USB Receiver right click on it then chose updat driver > Browse my computer for driver software > Let me pick > Have Disk > Browse >open the folder u copy it to ur desktop earler then chose msmouse file inside it >open> ok > then it will show HID-compliant mouse chose it and click next if any warning pop-up click install or ok or next .. etc

hope that help
    regards

6. Isaiah263

Isaiah263

I have a new Toshiba Satellite A205-S5812 Laptop. I also have aproblem called syndactily (I think that is how it is spelled) which makes using the touch pad mose quite ubcomfortable after awhile. I am thinking of using a regular mouse (I have several just laying around), and I have a S2/USB adapter. Is there any way to use this arrangemnet with Vista? Thanks.

7. 911PRD

911PRD

Thanks Talador, your suggestion worked a treat and saved me time and money.

-
    Just go to device manager and right click on the 'unknown device' and left click on install driver software.

Then ask to install driver manually, and browse for this folder 'msmouse.inf_f4514c17' folder in your C:\Windows\System32 folder

When located just click open and let the wizard do the rest. It should locate the needed file to re-initiate the 'USB browser mouse' for Vista.

Thanks again.

8. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/549988

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice