1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: CHKDSK always runs on startup after backing up hard drive

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Akril, Feb 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Akril

Akril Thread Starter

Hello,

I'm running Windows XP SP3 on a Gateway DX200X, and lately it's been behaving in a way that makes me a bit concerned.

I have an internal hard drive which I copy the contents of my primary hard drive to using Macrium Reflect. However, over the past few months, doing this has prompted my computer to run CHKDSK whenever I restart it. Not only that, but when I back up my hard drive's contents to an HP portable hard drive and try to look at its contents, I get an error message saying, "the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable." (though the drive's contents do become viewable after unplugging it, then plugging it back in). If I attach the hard drive to my HP laptop (running Windows 7), I get a message saying that I need to format the drive before I can use it. Whether I back up to my internal secondary hard drive or my portable hard drive, when I finish backing up my hard drive, I've gotten a "[name of the drive I just backed up to] is not accessible. The parameter is incorrect" error message.

I suspect that something might be seriously wrong, but I can't seem to figure out what it is. Could someone please lend me some advice?

Thank you.

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

Forgetting for the moment the possibility that both the internal hard drive used for backup and the HP USB drive have both started to fail with bad sectors, I suspect your main hard drive, or a more serious problem when backup is taking place, such as a motherboard, power or processor fault

Were it to be the latter examples I feel sure you would have noticed problems, other than at times of backup.

I would start with a chkdsk /r on the main drive.

That is cmd prompt at C if that is the letter of the main drive and then type
    chkdsk /r

key enter and go from there it will run on restart and then get the results from event viewer.

Control Panel Admin tools, event viewer, application log on left pane, winlogon entries, click column heading to sort, it should be the most recent

I am signing off now as I am in the UK but I would follow that if chkdsk is OK with a check on voltages and temps
    Use this
    CPUID
    free edition HW Monitor
    Download is right hand side below HW Monitor Pro
    http://www.cpuid.com/softwares/hwmonitor.html

If you need to post that as a screenshot with all options expanded using the same image as shown on the download page

That Gateway - here
    http://support.gateway.com/s/PC/DX200/1008552/1008552nv.shtml

Do not know your level of knowledge so please do not be upset by me asking but when did you last open the case to check cleanliness of fans and cooling fins of CPU

Goodnight
    Back about 1600 will check to see if you need further assistance
    Of course someone else may well assist in the meantime

3. Akril

Akril Thread Starter

All right -- I ran CHKDSK and took a look at the Event Viewer. This is what I found under the latest Winlogon entry:

I also downloaded and installed CPUID, and attached a screenshot of the Hardware Monitor.

As for the cleanliness of the computer's interior, I opened the case a couple of weeks ago to clean out the interior. It was a little dusty, but it didn't seem like it was filthy enough to be affecting the system performance (but then again, I'm not a hardware expert).

Attached Files:

4. Macboatmaster

Not a lot more to be said really, especially as

and
    my advice is secure all that is important to you ASAP

5. Akril

Akril Thread Starter

I see -- can't say I'm all that surprised by this diagnosis. I'm just glad that I was able to figure out that things were going bad before my hard drive finally gave up the ghost. I'll get it replaced as soon as possible.

Thank you very much for your help, Macboatmaster.

6. Macboatmaster

Good luck with it

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1088228

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice