Solved: Chkdsk runs at every boot for an external hd

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

woofdah

Something I did today caused XP to run chkdsk on my external usb 250m Western digital hard drive. I tried going into the registry to fix the entry looked for the following:

1. Click Start, click Run, type regedit, and then click OK.
2. Locate and then click the following key in the registry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Control\Session Manager\BootExecute

3. On the Edit menu, click Modify.
4. Type autocheck autochk *, and then press ENTER.

The problem is that it is already set to autocheck autochk *

Any ideas where I can go to stop the chkdsk on this external drive??

woofdah

Tried it and got the same result. If i disconnect the drive it boots just fine, but as soon as I reconnect and reboot goes right back to chkdsk.

JohnWill

Retired Moderator
I'm going to guess that something may be wrong with the external disk. Have you tried it on another system?

woofdah

I did try it and it seemed to work just fine. I managed to get all I needed off it and reformated it and checked it for errors, it found none but now is working fine.

Status
This thread has been Locked and is not open to further replies. The original thread starter may use the Report button to request it be reopened but anyone else with a similar issue should start a New Thread. Watch our Welcome Guide to learn how to use this site.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 807,865 other people just like you!

Latest posts

Staff online

Members online