1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: chkdsk stuck at 10%. No disk light

Discussion in 'Windows 8' started by ron40, Feb 18, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ron40

ron40 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ron
    I am running chkdsk /r /x /r because I encountered a file error & now the pc seems to be stuck at 10%. I did some Google searches about "stuck" chkdsk in win 8.1 the consensus seemed to be that I should be patient because it can take hours to even a day or more. The absence of a progress indicator is also annoying. That would be fine except I don't think that there is anything going on in there because the HDD light is no longer on & the disk is not making any sounds, just the same "10% complete" display.
    Should I turn it off & try to safely reboot or continue waiting?

2. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

I am a little puzzled

You say
    1. Do you really mean chkdsk /r /x /r

I know what /r means
    and I know what /x means
    why you would force a dismount and thereby cause all open handles to be invalid I cannot understand

Why did you not just issue the cmd
    chkdsk /r
    and then agree the message to run on restart

I am as I said puzzled by the cmd you say you have issued.

How please did you become aware of the file error that suggested you needed to run a chkdsk

3. ron40

ron40 Thread Starter

First Name:
    Ron
    I'm sorry, I did not use the the /r switch twice in the command. I did a google search for the chkdsk command when my new boot drive began acting strangely, Picasa displayed only a few of the files is should have & I could not get it to "behave" even though I reinstalled it. I did not check other programs. I suspected the disk was defective & in a panic I thought chkdsk would give me some info. I hastily did a google search to find the proper switches & if I remember correctly the order was /f x/ r. I subsequently found that the disk is corrupted & useless. I was in a panic all day yesterday. Sorry I didn't reply sooner.

4. Macboatmaster

Macboatmaster Trusted Advisor Spam Fighter

No problem if you are sure the hard drive is - as you say corrupted and useless - whatever that means
    as long as you consider the problem is found - and know the solution that is all that matters

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1143344

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice