1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Choice of water cooling system?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ROA, Aug 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. ROA

ROA Thread Starter

I recently have been having problems with heat in my system slowing performance down. I already knew the power supply was going out so I have decided to get a 1000W power supply. I have a 120mm exhaust fan and a 80mm intake fan for my machine and was curious to know if anyone would suggest getting a water cooler after I replace the power supply? I have never had one, although I have looked into how they function and that they significantly reduce system heat and many have extra blocks available to install for other system components. If I upgrade my power supply does anyone think I will need a water cooler? My CPU temperature is about 35-40c idle, but then as soon as I run ANY type of game (WoW, CoD4, online flash games) the heat of my GPU and CPU go up to 60c+ temperature (Which is maxing out the temperature suggested for my AMD Athlon X2 6400 3.2ghz).

The power supply is only 550W and the GPU (Geforce 8800GTS) alone requires 600W non-sli, but I figured the power supply being replaced might be the sole cause of heat (Im getting like 30fps in WoW if that helps show how bad this is lol).

So the question remains is Power supply enough? or should I get a water cooler? (and if think I need a water cooler, maybe suggest a good one for me)

2. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

The GTS wants 600W? wow, where did you grt it from? I think maybe you misinterpreted, and the soec is for a system, not the card. A 550, as long as it has enough amps om the rails, should be enough to rub everythibg.

as regards water cooling, think hard about it. If you are worried about temps, a god air cooler is probably a good bet, with a thin smear of theral, and ensure you get good contact. Water cooling is complicated, inasmuch as its not too easy to install, if it leaks you can kill a system,and routing can take a bit of work. I have been using it for years now, and its still something that I wonder about. I dont think it makes a huge amount of difference if you run at stock speeds, and if you o/c then you need to make sure you have a good coler. I am using a combo, part thermaltake from the Armor case series, and part coolermaster, wired as one system, ie 1 pump, 2 GPU units, 1 CPU unit, and 3 good rads for good dissipation. For the 8800s, becareful you get the right unit, as the fittings are diferent on many.

3. ROA

ROA Thread Starter

Yeah I found it kinda strange that the site said 450w minimum and the box it came in says 600w. Its XFX brand, but yeah its a bit excessive. I have all the cords properly put against the case for increased air flow and like I said have an intake fan (80mm) and a whopping 120mm exhaust fan. I don't know what else I could possibly do to decrease heat in the system. I mean something has to be up for the CPU and GPU temperature to be above 60 when I even play a simple flash game. Its the 8800Gts for crying out loud. It didn't used to be so hot, but getting anything less than 80fps in a moderate game like WoW is just simply stupid.

4. Gulo Luseus

Gulo Luseus

The problem could be the fans here. If you have a 120 out and an 80 in, you will be getting a negative pressure state ( the pressure inside the case lower than the pressure outside) because the 120 moves more air than the 80. You could try taking the side off, and see how it goes. For me, I put a new fan on the case side, straight over the GPU, which lowered the temps significantly.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!