1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: choosing the image quality settings for olympus camera

Discussion in 'Digital Photography & Imaging' started by carlo_scute, Feb 12, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. carlo_scute

carlo_scute Thread Starter

Good day,

I purchased an olympus fe 190 camera,and there are different image quality settings.
    I just take pictures for leisure,just a beginner and i would print photos in regular size..
    what setting should i choose? (i copied the chart here).
    If i choose hq st.comp.,would the quality be not as good as in the shq low comp.?
    would the difference be clearly visible in the photos.
    thanks!

SHQ 2816 × 2112 Low
    compression

HQ 2816 × 2112 Standard
    compression

SQ1 2048 × 1536 Standard
    compression

SQ2 640 × 480 Standard
    compression

2. bonk

bonk Banned

The higher the settings the better quality the picture for printing etc....but using higher quality it will take up more space on the memory card

SHQ = Super high quality will take up the most space and is the best quality for printing large size pictures.

HQ= High Quality which is what I would use in most cases

SQ1 = slightly lower quality but still OK for printing with normal size pictures

SQ2 = basic quality for printing small pictures.

3. slipe

slipe

You should take photos at the highest resolution and quality your camera is capable of. You don’t know where your interests will take you in the future or when you will get that great shot you want on the wall.

That has to be tempered by reality though. If you bought a small memory card and best quality photos would fill the card too quickly then drop down to HQ. Even with a large memory card you might want to drop to HQ if you were going on a vacation and had no way to download or save the photos other than the memory card.

If you have to drop to SQ1 to fit enough photos on the memory card you should check the sales for a larger capacity card. It makes no sense to buy a 6Mp camera and get 3Mp photos. You are also going to a low enough quality that you will start picking up compression artifacts. You wouldn’t see them on a 4 X 6 print and that size is OK for 4 X 6 prints. But should you ever get into cropping and other editing you will find that the images are limited.

Forget about SQ2. 640 X 480 isn’t large enough to make a decent 4 X 6 print. That is only 0.3 Mp. The camera in my cellphone takes 1.1 Mp photos, and I would be hard pressed to waste money on prints from it.

4. carlo_scute

carlo_scute Thread Starter

thanks for your replies bonk,slipe, appreciate it! i would use the highest settings possible,and the next (HQ) setting for extreme cases only.

5. hewee

hewee

My nikon coolpix say the 640 X 480 is a tv mode. But that is a low end picture and now days with HD tv's that would be a very low end picture.

6. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/543375

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice