1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Choosing the right case for my mobo

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by steven1350, Apr 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. steven1350

steven1350 Thread Starter

I was just looking online for a case, as I am building a new system. However, after looking at several pics, I noticed something pretty alarming :(

This is the back of my motherboard (supposedly ATX)
    [​IMG]

And this is the back of a generic ATX case
    [​IMG]

As I was noticing, the connectors not seem to line up, especially the sound card. Is there a certain type of case I should be looking for, or am I missing something:confused::confused::confused::confused:

**I guess I should add my motherboard is an ASUS P5N-D

2. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

Your motherboard comes with an IO plate. You remove the standard IO plate from the case and use the one supplied with the board.

3. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW I hope you are not trying to install something like a dell, hp, compaq, etc into a standard atx case.

4. steven1350

steven1350 Thread Starter

*sigh*. I feel like a tard now :( . Seems so obvious now

Thanks for the help,

5. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

No problem. There was a time when I could not figure out how to install a motherboard into a case. Everyone starts somewhere.

6. crjdriver

crjdriver Moderator

BTW here is a short description on how to mount a board in a new case or install a new board into your case.
    How to mount a new board in a case

1) Remove the IO plate from the back of the case.
    2) Place the board in the case and use something like a sharpie or a pencil to mark the case where you will need to install the standoffs.
    3) Remove the board and install the standoffs.
    4) Install the IO plate
    5) Place the board on the standoffs and slide it into the IO plate. Secure it with the screws provided with the case.

7. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/702151

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice