1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Chr code problem

Discussion in 'Business Applications' started by Irv1010, May 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Irv1010

Irv1010 Thread Starter

Hi all

I am creating standard letters within my db using forms along the lines of:

="Further to my telephone call blah blah blah......"+Chr(13)+Chr(10)+"An appointment has been arranged for you as follows:"+Chr(13)+Chr(10)+Chr(13)+Chr(10)+"Date:- " & [NextApptDate] & Chr(13)+Chr(10)+"Time:- " & [NextApptTime] etc.......

I would like to get the words Time and Date to be in bold and underlined. Does anyone know if this is possible using Chr (ASCII) coding?

2. Gregor1234

Gregor1234

I see that no one is answering your question.

I do not know the answer but at least think I understand the problem.

When you say "DB" is this Access?

When you are creating "standard ;etters" are you using a mail merge?

I don't believer there is an easy solution within Access but there are work-arounds that might get the job done depending on the answers to the questions above.

3. Irv1010

Irv1010 Thread Starter

Hi there

It is an Access database and I am not using mail merge. Any help is gratefully received.

4. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

Chr has a VBA equivalent that might work better, but best of all would probably be a Word doc with the formatting of Bookmarks. Although I am not sure why you are not just Formatting the Fields using the Field Properties rather than using Chr.
    Can you post an Access 2003 copy of your database with some dummy data in it

5. Gregor1234

Gregor1234

The reason, OBP that he doesn't want to just format the fields is that what he wants to output here is a sentence and he wants a couple of words in different places in the middle of the sentence somewhere to appear in bold.

Now it may not be possible per se depending on exactly how he is generating output. Hew may indeed have to resort to an approach that is equivalent to "formatting the fields."

Now what I 'm not understanding is just how Irv101 is intending to produce this output.

He says he's not using mail merge.

OK then what are you doing?

Using VB to write a text file?

Writing an MS Access report?

And, BTW, there is no way in ASCII text to specify that certain text should be bold. ACSII just give you characters, not formatting.

The reason for all the questions is to see what the options are for getting you words to come out bold.

6. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

Gregor, I assumed that as he is not using Mail merge he is using an Access Report, but he may be using Outlook to email the data.

7. Irv1010

Irv1010 Thread Starter

Hi all

And many thanks for all of the advice. Here is a copy of my database but I think that the question is answered in that ASCII will not allow me to format the text. Never mind it was more a 'nice to have' as opposed to essential.

8. Irv1010

Irv1010 Thread Starter

Sorry - here is the database. I had to make a couple of changes as the file was too big.

Attached Files:

9. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

Irv, what do you intend using for the "Letter", printing it?
    Emailing it?
    Is it an Access Report?

10. Irv1010

Irv1010 Thread Starter

The letter is purely to print and post to clients confirming their appointment. The appointment date and time are taken from the client record along with the Advisor's name and other details such as address etc.

11. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

Irv, where are you trying to initiate the Letter, what form?

12. OBP

OBP Trusted Advisor

OK I found your Letter Form.
    I have created a Report and shown how to split the data up so that you can enbolden or enbolden and Underline certain parts of it. I am sure that yuo can work out the rest.

Attached Files:

13. Irv1010

Irv1010 Thread Starter

Having played around a little, this is now sorted - Many thanks.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/823437

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice