1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: CIH? No boot. No drive info.

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by jlazaroo, Jul 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. jlazaroo

jlazaroo Thread Starter

First, I'd like to say that I've been searching for a solution for a few hours now and I usually use posting as a last resort. I honestly don't really know what to search for.

1. I downloaded a file yesterday and ran it to do some website stuff(simple html stuff) it obviously had some virus on it. It was quick but did some major damage. It accessed all my drives and what I'm guessing is that it reformatted all of my drives, my three internals and even my external usb drive.

2. XP then gave me the blue screen and restarted and after POST all that came up was "GRUB".

3. I then followed some instructions from here: http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm#warning2
    Which basically told me to use the XP recovery console to fix boot.ini errors and/or copy some important system files from the XP CD to somewhere on C:\ but since there are no records of the drives there are no folders on C:\ to copy to.

It seems like some kind of CIH virus to me because all the info of my drives are gone but what do I know.

If someone could please help me as all my work files were on these drives, it would much appreciated! I definitely am not going to have web access on my work PC anymore.

Thanks in advance.

2. The Hound

The Hound

I know little about Linux, but I believe that GRUB is a Linux boot file---not a virus.

I haven't heard of the CIH in years...

It's likely that a Linux expert will be along shortly...don't lose hope!

3. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

Welcome to TSG....

Yes Grub is from Linux.

What was the file you downloaded that might give a light on what actually happened?

4. jlazaroo

jlazaroo Thread Starter

Well I don't remember the name of the file but I'm pretty sure it was deleting boot info partition info. I don't know all the technical names for that stuff. But I remember it trying to access the A: drive to format it but there was no floppy in there so like an idiot I kept canceling the error messages and I think it went on to my other drives and work its dark magic.

5. jlazaroo

jlazaroo Thread Starter

I see many "unformat" type softwares. Is that a viable solution or will that risk more damage?

6. Elvandil

Elvandil

That's not likely to help and may hurt. You need to recover whatever files you need on those drives before doing anything else in order to prevent further damage to them.

Do you have another machine that you could put those drives into to try to do a recovery before you try for repairs?

7. jlazaroo

jlazaroo Thread Starter

Yes I do. I've already tried to access my usb external hoping that it did not get hit by the virus but it did. Right now in windows Disk Management it says there is 234Gb unallocated.

8. ozrom1e

ozrom1e

WHat is the original capacity of the external hard drive?

9. Elvandil

Elvandil

It isn't necessary for the drive to be recognized by Windows in order for recovery software to scan and retrieve data that the drive contains.

Try recovery programs. Here's a couple freebies for starters:

PCI File Recovery
    Tokiwa Data Recovery

10. jlazaroo

jlazaroo Thread Starter

It's 250. It's the same size I just wanted to state the fact that it was unallocated.

Thanks, I understand and thanks for the free suggestions.

I will try this and get back with you all. Thanks again.

11. jlazaroo

jlazaroo Thread Starter

I'm glad to say that I have been able to see/access/copy all the files from three drives so far and it seems like they are not corrupt. I just wanted to say thanks again for the extraordinarily fast responses.

The irony is that I'm the "tech" guy around here. I've just never experienced getting my hdd's reformatted.

God Bless,
    John

12. The Hound

The Hound

Cool beans, John...could you use the thread tools at the top right to mark this one solved...

13. jlazaroo

jlazaroo Thread Starter

Sure thing.

14. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/591451

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice