1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cisco VPN Client with Static IP

Discussion in 'Networking' started by jolan, Jul 17, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jolan

jolan Thread Starter

Hey guys, I'm having an issue with a laptop running Cisco's VPN Client 4.6. This laptop connects to the internet through a tethered blackberry, then it connects to the VPN. The VPN connection establishes succesfully, but you cannot surf. When looking at the TCP/IP properties for the VPN adapter (Local Area Connection 3 on this computer) while connected, it shows a static IP is assigned (172.16.x.x), but the DNS fields are empty. If I add the DNS servers from the corporate network, the machine surfs with no problems and everything works correctly. However, if you disconnect from the VPN and reconnect, it loses the DNS information and it has to be re-typed.

Anyone have any idea how this was configured to use a static IP address, even if you disconnect and reconnect the the VPN client? Why won't it hang on to the DNS info that I gave it?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

2. jolan

jolan Thread Starter

Also, when you look at the TCP/IP properties while it is disconnected, it shows the "Use Static IP" radio button is checked, but the IP and subnet and gateway are all 0's. It won't let me add 0's for the DNS since they aren't valid. I wish I knew how they set that up...

3. jolan

jolan Thread Starter

Well I figured out the problem, in case anyone is interested. It turns out the VPN software passes an IP address and DNS information to the VPN Adapter automatically (when disconnected it appears there is a static set but it's not actually a static IP). The reason it wasn't doing this correctly before was because my user account was not a member of the VPN group and therefore even though it let me log on to the VPN, it wouldn't let me access anything (and it wouldn't pass on the DNS info) until I was added to the Group.

Talk about frustrating.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/596859

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice