1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Clean install W98

Discussion in 'Earlier Versions of Windows' started by e-liam, Oct 19, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. e-liam

e-liam Thread Starter

Hi all,

I'm just about to format/install W98 for my Mum. It's my old PC, as hers has gone to the great hard drive heaven.

Its got 3 (physical) HDs of varying sizes, and I also have Partition Magic if needed (and I haven't used it before) :eek:. Rather than have to hunt around for drivers after I've done... is it sensible to just make a formatted partition, d&d what I want to keep, and then just reformat the other discs/partitions? Apart from the necessary needed to run it post format, there is nothing on there that I need to keep.

If so, what do I keep, and where do I find it. There is no net connection on it. I killed that a few months ago, when I couldn't remember which settings I'd changed to network/transfer my stuff off it. So keeping the required files, rather than trying to get hold of them afterwards (It'll only be a 56k connection when done) seems more sensible.

And yes... this is the first time I've undertaken a job like this, and I want to do it with the right info, rather than ask how to fix it after I've killed it.. :D

Your help would be most appreciated.. and I'll offer a free HJT analysis to all those who help.. can't say fairer than that.. :D

Cheers

Liam

2. RSM123

RSM123

3. e-liam

e-liam Thread Starter

Cheers RSM,

I've downloaded it, but it won't split to two floppies. I also can't burn it.. :confused:.. something about the disk being write protected????????

Oh well, I'll see what I've got in my pile of CDs

Cheers

Liam

4. ~Candy~

~Candy~ Retired Administrator

Hi there ;)

Per your pm.....all 3 drives are empty. You can't join them together so you'll need to decide which drive you want to install the operating system on.

Does the bios setup have the option to boot from cdrom first?

5. e-liam

e-liam Thread Starter

I'll just check now, it's in the living room.. :D

6. e-liam

e-liam Thread Starter

Sorry, it's an old HP and I think?? I was looking at the bios.. F"--setup. All drives enabled?

7. ~Candy~

Nothing about a boot order? Floppy first, etc.?

You may not have the option, I was trying for the easy way to boot with the 98 install cd :D

8. ~Candy~

If not, here's my next set of instructions, I used a cut and paste that I didn't post earlier :)

Download a boot disk from here so we know what we are working with.

http://freepctech.com/pc/002/files010.shtml
    Do NOT save to floppy, save to desktop, double click and create a disk.

Get one hard drive installed, be sure bios setup sees that it is there, be sure bios is set to boot from floppy disk first, boot with the disk you created, choose with cdrom support and be sure the cdrom drivers load. Test the cdrom to see if you can read the 98 install cd. The drive letter will be one ahead, so if it was D, it'll now be E: If that is all good, then go back to the a: prompt, type fdisk and press enter. Enable LBA, set your active partition. I think you'll then need to reboot.

9. e-liam

e-liam Thread Starter

Bootable drive = drive 1 (3.5)

Also, I haven't formatted anything yet?? Well except a small disc (D) 407mb to practice

10. ~Candy~

Can you change to bootable driver = 2 or 3 or????? Let's try this angle first, I've never installed from the boot to 98 cd option :eek: but I think it should set the drive up similar to how XP does it :D If not, we'll use the boot disk above and get to the format c: part :)

11. e-liam

e-liam Thread Starter

re the post I missed.. I've got a boot disc, so I'll just check that the CD can be read..

12. e-liam

e-liam Thread Starter

Nope, I had a look to see if there was an option to change drive No. There isn't.. justr check the CD now back in 2

13. e-liam

e-liam Thread Starter

CD is Drive J (I think that I've now got about 5 drives thanks to partition magic practice.. :(

14. ~Candy~

Ok, and with the boot disk, you can read the disk in the drive and get a directory on it?

If so, go to the fdisk info above. When you get thru with that part post back. If the drive is small you may want to have fdisk put it back into one partition. I "THINK" fdisk will allow you to do that, although I could be wrong as that is a third party partiton and you may have to 'undo' your partitions with that. I've only used it once, and never tried to take it back off ;)

15. e-liam

e-liam Thread Starter

Yep, just changed the prompt to J, typed in dir and got the CD list. As far as the drive size.. I want to format the lot anyway, so as long as you stay near and explain it, I'll do that now.. :)

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/173069

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice