1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Clean Install XP Pro

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by bkillian62, Apr 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. bkillian62

bkillian62 Thread Starter

I was recently given a 5 year old computer with a Gigabyte 81945P-G motherboard and although I am having some post reformat troubles, first things first...trying to figure out if I did a clean install or not? The reason I'm concerned is because after the reformat, I downdoaded Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware and it told me that the file already existed? Additionally, after downloading SUPERAntiSpyware Free Edition and then subsequently running a scan, it found many tracking cookies with the old computer users name on it, Sarah? Perhaps I didn't load the OS to the correct location and now I hae 2 OS on the computer? After this gets figured out, I have some post reformat driver issue's to resolve.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Barry

2. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    i suspect thats exactly what you have done - Put the XP / Recovery Cd in and remove all the partitions and create new partition and reformat - then you should be OK
    also you will need to goto the website - Manufacturer of the PC - and/or Gigabyte for all the drivers here http://www.gigabyte.com.tw/Support/Motherboard/Driver_Model.aspx?ProductID=1906&ver=#anchor_os

3. bkillian62

Thanks ETAF...here is where my troubles begin, when I get to the XP Pro setup screen that shows partioned and unpartioned space, I get the following:
    C: Partioned (NTFS) 76309 MB
    Unpartioned space 8 MB
    I try to enter "D" to delete the C Partitioned space, but I get an error mssg. saying thats its unable because because it has temporary setup files needed to complete the install. So, alternatively, if I just hit enter, I get the mssg. that I chose to install XP on a partition that contains another OS and that doing so, the other OS might not function properly? This is what I did yesterday and ended up with 2 OS on the same partition? Where too from here?

4. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
  5. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Barry:

I received your private message.

Here is a good pictorial guide for doing a fresh install of XP Pro.

Hopefully, you've already identified the devices(chipset, display adapter, sound device, network adapter) in that computer so you can obtain the drivers for them if the install of XP Pro doesn't install all of them.

---------------------------------------------------------------

6. bkillian62

Hi Frank, great to hear from you again! New computer, new FUN!! I do believe that I have all the devices that you mention, but I'm still stuck at deleting the pre-existing partitioned C drive, Black Viper's #4) Hard drive partition information: (Image 1.4)? I have not tried the http://www.killdisk.com/ yet, but was trying to research it and hopefully I won't make further mistakes?

7. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    The steps are pretty self-explanatory. Take your time and read each screen carefully. It will tell you which key to press to perform a certain function.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

8. bkillian62

Still stuck on Black Vipers #4 image 1.4? It is not allowing me to delete the partioned C drive and when I go to the next screen, it tells me that it will erase and over write the pre existing OS, but it doesn't? I only know this because of what I wrote in the very first part of this thread, when I download some "Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware", after the reformat, it tells me that the file already exists.

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    I've never had a problem with booting from a XP CD and deleting all current partitions, so I don't know why you are. There's not much else that I can do from here. I'll leave you in etaf's hands.

----------------------------------------------------------------

10. bkillian62

Is it possible that I'm not actually booting from the CD, when I think that I am? Meaning, I see the mssg. to press any key to boot from CD, but it seems that nothing really happens from this action? I hit the space bar many times and nothing really happens...I'm wondering if it's just booting from the existing OS instead?

11. Squashman

Squashman Trusted Advisor

You would know the difference between booting from the CD vs booting into the Operating System. It is plain as night and day.

12. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    When the black screen appears and the Press any key to boot from CD command appears, press any key. I'm not sure if pressing the spacebar works the same way as pressing any key does because I've never tried it.

---------------------------------------------------------------

13. bkillian62

Maybe new information?? Ok, after trying to boot from the CD black screen many times, I finally noticed that the key board temporarily goes offline during this black screen period? I was toggling the "Caps Lock" key which turns the green light on/off and there was no response during the "press any key" period to boot from CD? My suspicion is thats why I'm unable to boot from the CD? And Etaf, I went to http://www.killdisk.com/ , but I'm lost on this site and your other directions are a little advanced for me?

14. bkillian62

Additionally, I went to F12 boot setup to try and Set the boot order to boot from CD before booting from the hard drive and the up/down arrows and everything else on the key board is dead? Key board works fine before and after black screens?

15. etaf

etaf Moderator

First Name:
    Wayne
    Whats the make and model of the PC - is it a HP at all ?
    On the site mentioned by flavallee
    The first thing that happens when you boot from your windows XP CD - should be the image next to this text

Do you see those screens ?
    If not what is it you do see ? - The windows Logo ?
    If you are booting the harddisk then it will just start normally and you will get a Start button and desktop etc - if you are booting from the CD then you will see a Blue screen - white writing .....

the bit i don't understand - is your post #3
    ----------
    Before we start deleting all the harddrive - lets at least make sure you can actually BOOT the windows XP CD....
    1) What CD do you have ?
    2) Where did ot come from
    3) Is it a full retail version of XP, or
    4) is it a Recovery CD that was supplied by the PC manufacturers ?

so if nothing is happening when you "Press any Key to boot the CD"
    Have a look in the bios/setup and see what the boot order is set to
    as the PC starts you may see a message to enter setup/bios - this may be Press F2 or DEL key or F10
    it will then go into a setup screen menu - move with the arrow across the top menu and then look in each page that gets displayed to see if you can see BOOT order - we want to have the CD set to boot before the harddisk

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/916589

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice