1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Clean Mint 17 install cannot connect to Facebook, other sites no problem.

Discussion in 'Linux and Unix' started by monckywrench, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. monckywrench

monckywrench Thread Starter

Clean, fully updated Mint 17 install cannot connect to https://www.facebook.com/ using Firefox, Chrome or Konqueror. I stopped trying more browsers after that.

No other connection problems on that PC to other secure sites such as Amazon.

Clean Ubuntu install performed at same time on another PC has no problem connecting to Facebook nor do any other Winodws or Linux PCs on my home LAN. Rebooted cable modem and router for giggles but no change.

I've been using Linux since 1999 and haven't seen an oddity like this.

Can ping and traceroute to facebook.com .

What sayeth the hive mind?

2. monckywrench

monckywrench Thread Starter

I marked it "solved" because since now Thunderird is randomly quitting I'm taking the easy way out and swapping back my CentOS 6.5 hard disk until I decide on another distro for my new SSD.

I like the MATE desktop but there is no reason a clean desktop intsall should be this buggy on my very common T61.

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/1142084

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice