1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cleaning Desktop

Discussion in 'Windows XP' started by zeroplusalpha, Nov 11, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. zeroplusalpha

zeroplusalpha Thread Starter

I have an unused desktop shortcuts folder created after I ran the desktop cleanup wizard. I'm a bit of a clean freak when it comes to the appearance of my desktop; ultimately I want to shove everything into my folders and have nothing but the recycle bin, My Computer and Firefox on it.

Unfortunately I don't know what to do with the unused folder - it has a windows media player icon inside and a strange IE folder - no icon, just a folder named Internet Explorer {871C5380-412A0-1069-A2EA}. When this is opened, ie comes up...twice. My theory is that one of the windows updates I recently installed was ie7, which deposited itself on my desktop, thus doubling the number of places it occupied. Does this sound about right?

In any case, how do I get rid of unwanted shortcuts - does deleting them actually remove the programs?

There a number of other installation icons that come with my various security program downloads, any tips as to where I should put them?

One last thing. A minor thing. But a thing nonetheless. I find those tiny little arrows on the corner of shortcut icons incredibly irritating, in the same way a rogue contact lens is irritating.

2. zabusant

zabusant

You can delete your shortcuts, this will NOT remove your programs. Also, you can almost certainly safely remove the IE folder, that shouldn't even be on your desktop.

You can safely remove any shortcut from your desktop, they only serve for quick access. And of course, you can always just make a new shortcut, if you were to need one.

3. kimsland

kimsland

You can just delete all those shortcuts - ofcourse confirming they exist in the Start programs menu. They will not remove the program.

Here's some info on howto remove the shortcut arrow:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/arrow.htm

But, I wouldn't remove the arraw; because then you won't know if it's a shortcut or not.

4. zabusant

zabusant

Also, the arrows are there for a reason - so you know, which files are only shortcuts, and which are actual files you need :)

EDIT: as I see @Kimsland just told you :)

5. kimsland

kimsland

Yes but you got in about 30 secs before me on the above post, I just decided to leave it there.!

6. zeroplusalpha

Yes...perhaps it would be wiser to leave those little arrows on. I have...a tendency to obsess about things like that.

I will take up zabusant's advice and delete the IE folder, but just to tie up loose ends, why is it there, if it really shouldn't be (and lets not forget about the opening of two ie browsers)? Are those cryptic numbers...less cryptic to more seasoned users than I?

7. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

Attached Files:

8. zeroplusalpha

That was weird. My reply just disappeared. Oh well.

Anyway. Wow. That's...rather nifty. I am clearly in the presence of an Adept.

I'm guessing The Core is a somewhat edited version of My Computer...

I know I asked this earlier on in this thread, but what to do with the stragglers from downloaded programs - what do those folders contain, anyway?

Love the 'shrooms.

9. zabusant

zabusant

Why don't you post a screenshot of your desktop so we can better advise you;)

10. zeroplusalpha

I was afraid you were going to ask that. Will do so...almost immediately, were it not for the fact that it's one of those things that I don't really know how to do.

11. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

When you install programs, often times it will ask you if you want to add a shortcut to the desktop, sometimes it does so without asking. I choose not to add shortcuts as they clutter up my nice picture. In the event that a program does it anyway, I delete them. I find this in no way decreases my mobility as the programs have groups in the Sart menu anyway. These also can be optimized.

In the "Start" menu > "All Programs," you may see dozens of folders containing the programs you use. In order to open any of these, you must hover over them with the mouse for a few hundred microseconds. It may seem like a short period of time but when you need to go a few folders deep, it becomes a pain. I move the programs I use into the initial "All Programs" menu, then delete the group folder. This is not dangerous, as these "program groups" are just shortcuts as well. I warn you, however, that it may take a while to get used to and it is a difficult to get them back.

The place you do not want to delete programs, files, folders, etc. from is \Program Files. This is the "Program Files" folder immediately inside your main drive, inside "My Computer" (in my case The Core.)

Sometimes when you install a program, it asks if you want to add it to quicklaunch or install some sort of extra toolbar. I always choose not to, as I don't like my taskbar being cluttered either.

12. zabusant

zabusant

Press the PrtSc button (print screen) while on the desktop - then paste it to anywhere with Ctrl-v

13. zabusant

zabusant

From the FAQ page!

What are Attachments?

The attachment feature of this forum gives you the ability to attach files of certain types to your posts. This could be an image, a text document, etc. There will be a limit to the file size of any attachments you make, as the forums should not be used as an extension of your hard disk!

To attach a file to a new post, simply click the [Browse] button at the bottom of the post composition page, and locate the file that you want to attach from your local hard drive.

Only certain types of files may be attached: these are the valid file extensions for files to be attached to this forum: .

After posting, the attachment will show up in the body of your message. To view the contents of the attachment (if it is not already displayed) simply click the filename link that appears next to the attachment icon .

Plus my addition - you have to press "go advanced" to get to it;)

14. zeroplusalpha

Um...Sorry. Wetware issues.

Where would I paste it to? Something like Paint Shop Pro or similar?

15. Dr. Chauncey

Dr. Chauncey

"I was afraid you were going to ask that. Will do so...almost immediately, were it not for the fact that it's one of those things that I don't really know how to do." - ZeroPlusAlpha

Well first, you'll need a screenshot. This can be obtained in many ways but the easiest is to hit the "Print Screen" button on your keyboard (sometimes Prt Scr, Prnt Scrn, or Prt Sc)
    Next open the best BitMap editor ever made, Microsoft Paint. This is in Windows\System32\MSPAINT.exe, more commonly accesed via the start menu > all programs > accessories > Paint or Start > Run > Type "mspaint" Anyway, Once this program is open, hold "CTRL" and hit "V" (CTRL+V) or select "Paste" from the "Edit" menu, this will paste whatever has been loaded into the clipboard. If all goes well, select "save as.." from the "File" menu and save it as a JPG or JPEG file type.

Once you have a screenshot, come back to the forum in your browser and select the "Go Advanced" button right below the "Quick Reply" box. On the next screen you should see a similar text box but with a lot more options. One of these is a paperclip-looking dropdown menu. Click this and it will open another window in your browser. Select the "browse" button and double-click the screenshot.jpg image after you browse to where it was saved. If you do not remember where it saved to, and you didn't specify the location, open paint again and click save as to see where the default folder is. That should be it, close the Attach windows, click the "Submit" button and it should be here for the world to see.

16. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/650749

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice