1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

Solved: Cleaning up registry errors, etc.

Discussion in 'Windows 7' started by crsaj, Oct 28, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

After contacting Avast support I was linked to Iyogi who they have outsourced for technical support issues. However, after linking you to Iyogi they instantly want to take over your computer to check for problems. After their anaylsis they inform you that your omputer could be infected and has thousands of errors and if you do not clean it up soon it could crash any day. They then go on a lengthy marketing ploy in an attempt to get you to subscribe to their annual maintenance program for a fee. I don't have the funds for this and I think it's disappointing that Avast wouild go to this type of support especially on their paid Internet Security plan. In the meantime I need to clean up my computer as thoroughly as I can to get it running efficiently again. Could someone tell me the best method to do this and or walk me through it since I'm not as computer literate as some. Thanks. Chuck

2. Elvandil

Elvandil

You must have clicked on an ad somewhere. It is a registry cleaner, pure and simple. You don't have any real errors and running that thing will only damage your system since their MO is to delete anything they don't understand. Never clean the registry.

They are like those snake-oil salesmen that make up a disease, tell you that you have it, and then offer to sell you the cure.:D

If you have some problem you are trying to solve, what is it?

3. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

My sons laptop was running slow just dragging along. He ran Avast Anti Virus, disk cleanup and did a defrag.

4. flavallee

flavallee Trusted Advisor

First Name:
    Frank
    Chuck:

Is your son's laptop running Windows XP or Vista or 7, 32-bit or 64-bit?

What's the brand name, model name, and model number of that laptop?

How much RAM does it have?

-------------------------------------------------------

5. Elvandil

Elvandil

So is it still slower than it was or that you think it should be?

Disk Cleanup and defrag won't make any difference in how fast it runs, but if it has slowed down, there is probably something new going on that we can help you track down.

Cleaning the registry is not it. That will more than likely slow things down as Windows and programs search 1000's of times each second for entries that those programs have hacked out like the heartless butchers that they are.

6. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

I'm forward to my son so he can reply directly to you. I'm in CT and he is in Florida. Thanks for the help. Chuck

7. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

My laptop is running with Windows XP media center edition version 2002 service pack 3. It is a Dell Inspiron E1505. 1 GB of RAM.

8. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    Avoid cleaner/booster/optimizer/tuneup programs(especially the ones that access the registry) like the plague.

They do little-to-nothing to improve speed, but what they can do is damage Windows and break programs.

And if the damage is bad enough, your only viable option is to reinstall Windows.

--------------------------------------------------------

9. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    What's the 7-character service tag number on the sticker?

Go here and click the green "Download latest version" link to download and save HiJackThis 2.0.4.

After it's been downloaded and saved, close all open windows first, then double-click the saved file to install it.

Allow it to install in its default location - C:\Program Files.

After it's been installed, start it and then click "Do a system scan and save a log file".

When the scan is finished in less than 30 seconds, a log file will appear.

Save that log file.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the entire log file here.

Start HiJackThis, but don't run a scan.

Click on the "Open The Misc Tools Section" button.

Click on the "Open Uninstall Manager" button.

Click on the "Save List" button.

Save the "uninstall_list.txt" file somewhere.

It'll then open in Notepad.

Return here to your thread, then copy-and-paste the entire file here.

------------------------------------------------------

10. flavallee

First Name:
    Frank
    What they claim to do and what they REALLY do is entirely different.

We've dealt with several threads in these forums where people have trashed their computers from using them.

"Consumer Reports" magazine had an article on them a few months ago.

They tested a number of them and found that most of them don't increase a computer's speed at all.

A few of them actually reduced a computer's speed.

If you want to use them, that's your choice, but don't encourage others here to do so.

Let's drop the subject now so we can focus on crsaj's issues.

--------------------------------------------------------

11. crsaj

crsaj Thread Starter

We were able to refresh the modem for the Internet and now everything seems to be running much faster. Iyogi support made it sound as if i didn't buy their subscription support my laptop would soon crash and cost me a lot more. I'm going to avoid them and all others in the future. Tks. for your help on this

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!