1. Computer problem? Tech Support Guy is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations. Click here to join today! If you're new to Tech Support Guy, we highly recommend that you visit our Guide for New Members.

[SOLVED] Cleaning

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Danboy, Dec 9, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
  1. Danboy

Danboy Thread Starter

Hi everyone,

Easy question. My computer is 3 years old. I clean the keyboard and the monitor screen on a regular bases. My question is, How difficult is cleaning the inside of the tower? Being somewhat new to computing I want to make sure that I do not mess anything up.
    Please let know what and what NOT to do..........

Thanks Danboy

2. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

The first thing you have to do when cleaning the inside of your computer is to unplug it. This is extremely important to help prevent shocking yourself or your computer. You should also ground yourself using one of those grounds that you wear on your wrist. You should be able to get one from your local Radio Shack. After you have unplugged it, you can take the case off. After taking the case off, look for any dust that may have accumulated inside your computer. Then, take a can of compressed air and gently blow all of the dust away (If you don't have access to a can of compressed air, you can use your own wind, but you have the chance of getting spit all over and that won't be to pretty!). [IMPORTANT NOTE: There are many who say you should not use compressed air because of the risk of blowing components loose or shocking something with static electricity. If you have any questions on this, you should consult your computer manuals or your computer manufacturer's tech support.] Pay attention to vent holes and fan coverings as any blockage here can keep your computer from cooling as it is intended to. Once you have cleaned out the inside of the computer, put the case back on and screw in the screws.

3. Davey7549

Davey7549

4. Danboy

Danboy Thread Starter

Thanks for the info you 2. I will give it a try Monday.

Thanks Danboy

5. LadyLisa

LadyLisa

You're welcome and 'happy cleaning'

:D

6. hewee

hewee

I get a lot of news papers and spread them out on the carpet 6 pages thick so I am not moving the tower on the carpet. So if you work on the carpet do that or use a piece of plywood. Keep the compressed air up right also.

7. Lurker1

Lurker1

"There are many who say you should not use compressed air because of the risk of blowing components loose"

IMHO

I think that if compressed air knocks a component off then it was loose and needed reseating anyway! :cool:

8. tomlunt

tomlunt

For what its worth ...

If you haven't cleaned your computer recently, you might even consider doing it outside on a nice day - and blowing the dust down-wind. I took mine out on the deck before i even took off the cover - but then again, i hadn't opened the case in 2-3 years. Wow, that's a lot of dust.

Tommy

9. RT

RT

Also you might try vacuuming some of your components out before you blow them away... that way you can still retrieve them from the bag and then blow the dust off of them :)

If your 'puter is on the floor and you have pets inside you will likely find hair in there, too. (yuk) that's why I say vacuum, then blow what the vacuum can't get. One of those small battery powered vacuums like you'd use in your car ( that comes with the crevice tool), not the big Hoover!

10. Danboy

Danboy Thread Starter

Hi Everyone,

Sorry it took so long to get back. Yesterday I unhooked the tower and took it to the workbench in the garage. Took the two sides off and found quite a bit of dust. My can of air ran out so I turn on the air compressor and finished blowing it out. I didn't let the pressure get to high and was very careful. Brought it back in, hooked it back up and it works fine............

Thanks Danboy:D :D :D :D

11. RT

RT

Glad to hear it, Danboy.

Always good to hear a good clean reply in a forum! :)

12. Sponsor

As Seen On
As Seen On...

Welcome to Tech Support Guy!

Are you looking for the solution to your computer problem? Join our site today to ask your question. This site is completely free -- paid for by advertisers and donations.

If you're not already familiar with forums, watch our Welcome Guide to get started.

Join over 733,556 other people just like you!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Short URL to this thread: https://techguy.org/61192

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice